Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Do I need all of those?

When installing a fresh OS copy, besides the chipset, lan & audio drivers, there are those SATA/Intel rapid storage drivers, USB3 drivers etc.. Do they actually affect anything? Do you think I should install them?

Thanks
Old August 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If it's a driver and not an "app" I always install them. For years AMD has had some kind of "USB Filter" which I have absolutely no idea what it does, but I always install it anywise... :)

In most cases I'd think the motherboard / chipset manufacturer would know how to make their own hardware run best. The only recent issue of not wanting to use the native drivers I can recall was the use of Microsoft's AHCI driver on AMD chipsets in order to allow TRIM to work.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I've thought.. Although I always prefer doing things the minimalistic way, I do install them as you've said - just in case.
Old August 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Allstar

Personally, I install everything - I think* certain ports just won't work without drivers.

the only thing I DON'T install is Intel RST. I'm just not picky enough about performance to care and I don't really use any features from it.

*emphasis here
Old August 18, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Personally, I install everything - I think* certain ports just won't work without drivers.

the only thing I DON'T install is Intel RST. I'm just not picky enough about performance to care and I don't really use any features from it.

*emphasis here
Better to check the website for the board to make sure you have up to date drivers.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I am the same, minimalistic in the drivers that I install with a fresh OS install. But drivers are drivers. USB, chipset, lan, audio is about the standard fair for what gets installed. if you are worried about the RST drivers, look them up and see what they do.....that reminds me, I should look them up and see what they do.
Old August 20, 2012, 05:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just install LAN, audio, USB3 and chipset.