Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2012, 01:16 PM
Rookie

Default old locked windows HDD, new mobo

So my old windows is locked on the old mobo, but i didnt replace the harddrive. I was planning to format after putting new parts in, but it keeps restarting by itself at either bios flash screen or onwards. When i put my new Win7 disc in and ONCE got to select boot order screen, it said there was some error and told me to restart. When it gets to Windows login screen sometimes, it goes bluescreen, error with windows, and shuts down/restarts again. Mate says its because i didnt format BEFORE assembling. Im SURE AS HELL not gonna spend another 2 hours taking all this out again, putting in old stuff again, and then vice versa. Itd take me like 4 hours.
tl;dr How do i format my HDD with a mobo locked windows that makes me PC crash at bios flash screen. If it isnt from locked windows, what is it?
Old August 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You sure can reformat after you put together new hardware, that is how I always do it. Sounds like something isn't right hardware wise. I have had brand new ram go kaput and prevent me from installing windows, I switched sticks around until it booted. In your case it sounds like your unit will not post due to hardware issues. Try doing the minimal hardware install routine to get your rig to post.
Old August 3, 2012, 01:47 PM
Rookie

yeah i disconnected my HDD and still kept crashing. Also checked all power connections, theyre firm. All fans are also working.
Old August 3, 2012, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Issue isnt RAM either. Im using z68 mobo from gigabyte, could it be faulty?
Old August 3, 2012, 03:18 PM
Rookie

this is about the boot loop. im going to hardware section