My System Specs

MSE is all I run.
Old July 24, 2012, 06:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Comodo? What a joke and software firewalls cause more problems than good
Using CIS at work and at home without problems for ages.
Classical AV's (signature based) are obsolete now.

But for me common sense is the best AV I've tried since 1997 when I've start surfing the net.
Old July 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'll go MSE + MalwareBytes then. But I still don't quite understand what MalwareBytes will do that MSE or any other anitivirus software won't do?
Think of MSE (or any AV for that matter) as the protection you keep in your wallet, and MBam as the penicillian you take if that fails.......

AV is great at blocking known threats and new threats that behave in a certain manner. Unfortunately, most threats these days are packaged in such a way that it's the User who gives permission for it to install, and that's where MalwareBytes comes in. (After the fact).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
MVP

I vote for an use Comodo Internet Security. One thing is with Comodo, it isn't a "Point & Shoot" experience. The setup options, to get the best performance and detection, can be daunting. Properly setup though it is a joy to use and very powerful.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old July 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

They all have thier plus and minus.

I had used MSE and Fprot a couple years back to get rid of some nasty nasty virus and trojan, they at the time were 2 of the 3 out of all AV anti malware that could be installed and run, MSE couldn`t find it, but could clean it, Fprot could do nothing but "flag" it, this allowed MSE to clean it quite well.

These days I just use AVGfree, it does what I want it to do, is always active and has caught I do not know how many things, very invaluable. I do not find it that resource heavy, its uses them sure, but it also sits in background doing its thing, and I barely notice.

I have used pretty much all the AV and such out there, did not like most of them, either to time consuming to set up properly, did not catch things AVG does, very poor interface and such.

Comodo, Avast, Avira are the 3 that were on my system for about 3 days before I had issues, either when trying to game with them, updating or what have you.

Malwarebytes quite probably has its uses, but I believe I also had issues trying to get it to run properly.

MSE or AVG is my vote :) as for firewalls, that best that I have ever used, one of the best period was Sygate personal firewall, who got bought out, and shutdown, they were to good, and couldn`t make $ on them :( doesnt work with win7 was simply awesome for win xp though.

Last edited by Dragonstongue; July 24, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

IMHO avg has the worst track record for screwing up machines... Shall I mention the time that avg corrupted systems so bad they needed to be reinstalled? Or how about the countless times I have to remove avg for causing bsods on systems?

And personally if you need a software firewall installed other than Windows you have much larger issues.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

What about firewalls? There is always the Windows Firewall which I've always felt very comfortable using, but what do you guys say?
Old July 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Windows firewall is fine.

Anyone using a router is untouchable from the outside already.

The only way something is going to get you is if you trojan yourself, which is something YOU or an AV should catch anyway.... the software firewall is just another layer of trouble in the mix, imho.
Old July 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Anyone using a router is untouchable from the outside already.
How's that?

I was alo wondering now I have your attention and while we are at it, that if a virus is a piece of malware - malicious software - if it then won't be more correct to call all anti virus software "anti malware software" or something like that instead?

Last edited by Marute; July 25, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
How's that?

I was alo wondering now I have your attention and while we are at it, that if a virus is a piece of malware - malicious software - if it then won't be more correct to call all anti virus software "anti malware software" or something like that instead?
When using a router it's the only thing with a real internet routable IP address. Everything on the inside has LAN based IP addresses and are not reachable from the outside.

The best analogy is like a businesses phone system. You want to talk to your buddy at work, and his extension is 312. You can't just pick up your phone and hit 312 and hope to get him, it won't even dial, you have to dial his business first, then dial the extension

In this case you have to talk to the router first, which has the only real IP address then ask it nicely to speak to the inside computers which are the extensions at which point the router says hell no.