Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Mobile OS's is it possible to sample them on a PC? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/55317-mobile-oss-possible-sample-them-pc.html)

Shadowmeph July 7, 2012 09:36 AM

Mobile OS's is it possible to sample them on a PC?

I don't seem to remember where but I do remember seeing something about a gecko based OS for smart phones just got me to thinking, how would one test a mobile OS is it possible to test one in a virtual environment?

JD July 7, 2012 10:12 AM

I believe the Android and iOS SDK's allow you to do that. Not 100% sure though.

Mars July 7, 2012 11:11 AM

Yeah, their SDKs all have emulators.

Sagath July 7, 2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 640389)
I believe the Android and iOS SDK's allow you to do that. Not 100% sure though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 640397)
Yeah, their SDKs all have emulators.

Are these a built in sandbox (exe, etc)? or are these run within windows/linux themselves?

This has me thinking a couple ideas if its the latter...:ph34r:

Shadowmeph July 7, 2012 04:55 PM

Where does one find these sdk OSs?

igot6strings July 7, 2012 05:02 PM

I think you just download the Android SDK, install it, and from there you can download whatever version you want and test it. Atleast this is how I recall it when I was playing with them over a year ago briefly. Sorry I can't be much help but one thing I do know was that it was very very sluggish this way. It doesn't run well on a PC but its a cool way to check things out.

JD July 7, 2012 07:23 PM

Links for the lazy :bleh:

Android SDK | Android Developers

Using the Android Emulator | Android Developers

My guess is these tools work best under Linux, since Android is after all Linux based. Other than ADB, never used anything from the SDK personally.

enaberif July 7, 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 640482)
Links for the lazy :bleh:

Android SDK | Android Developers

Using the Android Emulator | Android Developers

My guess is these tools work best under Linux, since Android is after all Linux based. Other than ADB, never used anything from the SDK personally.

ADB works from in both linux and windows.

Mars July 7, 2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sagath (Post 640434)
Are these a built in sandbox (exe, etc)? or are these run within windows/linux themselves?

I'm not really sure what you're asking?

One thing to note is that the emulators are meant as app test platforms, so you can sideload apps onto them, but they tend to be missing features that aren't relevant to app development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 640458)
Where does one find these sdk OSs?

On the official Google/MS/Apple developer sites.

JD July 7, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 640507)
ADB works from in both linux and windows.

I know since I've only used ADB on Windows, but I'm saying emulator wise, it may be better on Linux. I know compiling needs to be done on Linux in most cases, as an example.