Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2006, 12:14 AM
Misoprostol

Default AVG notice just started popping up saying it's discontinued....

Is Grisoft discontinuing AVG Free Edition, or just this version of it? Something about 7.5 being released? Anyone got any insight? Or maybe a better free anti-virus to switch to?
Old November 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Is Grisoft discontinuing AVG Free Edition, or just this version of it? Something about 7.5 being released? Anyone got any insight? Or maybe a better free anti-virus to switch to?
Quote from Grisoft's site:

New Free Anti-Virus

"GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007."

Looks like there will be a free version afterall and they will discontinue support for v7.1. That's good news because I think it's the best free AVG out there.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:29 PM
Misoprostol

Haha they've brainwashed you. You put "it's the best free AVG"... There aren't too many free AVGs.... Shorely there must be shome mishtake!

Anyways, that's good news. I really like AVG free edition, but honestly I wonder if it'd be a good move for them to make it cost money. I was ready to buy AVG 7.5 if they hadn't made a free one...
Old December 5, 2006, 09:05 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Haha they've brainwashed you. You put "it's the best free AVG"... There aren't too many free AVGs.... Shorely there must be shome mishtake!

Anyways, that's good news. I really like AVG free edition, but honestly I wonder if it'd be a good move for them to make it cost money. I was ready to buy AVG 7.5 if they hadn't made a free one...
I really like AVG but I don't find it near as good as NOD32 or Kaspersky. I found that AVG would find a virus but often couldn't clean/remove it. I havn't had a problem with either of the two i've mentioned above.
Old December 5, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I have had the 7.5 free avg for about a month now, yes it's free and other than the GUI and vista support it's about the same as previous versions
Old December 5, 2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I have had the 7.5 free avg for about a month now, yes it's free and other than the GUI and vista support it's about the same as previous versions
Have you had any trouble with AVG not cleaning up virus's that it has found or am I the only one that has had issues.:( I do appreciate that it's not a complete system resource hog like NAV.
Old December 5, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AVG has missed virus's and failed to clean them, when it fails I stop by housecall, if that fails well a format is in order. I format windows about every three months or so.
NAV I haven't used in years 03-04 was the last versions I tried, I hate it , Why the **** does NAV have to spawn 10 billion processes?
Spybot has also helped alot while it's a spyware solition it has detected 2 worms that AVG didnt, ended up getting into my network, not fun.:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 5, 2006, 11:19 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
AVG has missed virus's and failed to clean them, when it fails I stop by housecall, if that fails well a format is in order. I format windows about every three months or so.
NAV I haven't used in years 03-04 was the last versions I tried, I hate it , Why the **** does NAV have to spawn 10 billion processes?
Spybot has also helped alot while it's a spyware solition it has detected 2 worms that AVG didnt, ended up getting into my network, not fun.:(
My arsenal consists of NOD32, Spybot, Adware and CCleaner. With that combo of products I have yet to have any problems. I usually end up messing up my system by installing a Codec or other software and like you, usually end up formatting every 3-4 months as well.:(
Old December 12, 2006, 11:10 PM
Misoprostol

I remember when I was formatting every month or so. It's annoying. I still do it at least once every few months. I keep going to LANs and getting a bunch of awesome games installed on my system on to end up wiping it before I get to play any. I really need to learn how to use Ghost...
Old December 12, 2006, 11:21 PM
Top Prospect

Symantec Corporate edition... thank-you Waterloo ;)