Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31

My System Specs

Default Xp Serial key question - Legal

Hey guys,

I frequent alot of other hardware forums and while i usually view the messages posted on these forums this will be my official first post.

A couple to a few years ago my friend bought his pc from a retailer(obviously this computer had an oem version of windows xp installed). Later on he had problems with xp and had to reinstall it, because the retailer/computer did not come with a recovery disc or an xp disc i let him use mine(retail copy) as i was not using it (unaware at the time the differences between oem and retail copies). He attempted using the cd key listed on his computer case but the computer would not take it, so i told him(as i wasnt using that cd at the time) to feel free and use the key associated with it.

I plan on building a computer right away and i would like to use windows xp on it, thus requiring him to have his own serial key, he has tried programs that allow you to change your serial key to try and change it to the key on his side panel, but again the computer will not accept it.

Am i screwed or am i missing something? Is it possible for him to phone in and say, 'Hey, this is the serial key on the side of my case, i had to reinstall windows xp using my friends retail copy and it will not allow me to use this key now...'

I really hope i'm explaining the situation clearly enough, any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Merix View Post
Hey guys,

I frequent alot of other hardware forums and while i usually view the messages posted on these forums this will be my official first post.

A couple to a few years ago my friend bought his pc from a retailer(obviously this computer had an oem version of windows xp installed). Later on he had problems with xp and had to reinstall it, because the retailer/computer did not come with a recovery disc or an xp disc i let him use mine(retail copy) as i was not using it (unaware at the time the differences between oem and retail copies). He attempted using the cd key listed on his computer case but the computer would not take it, so i told him(as i wasnt using that cd at the time) to feel free and use the key associated with it.

I plan on building a computer right away and i would like to use windows xp on it, thus requiring him to have his own serial key, he has tried programs that allow you to change your serial key to try and change it to the key on his side panel, but again the computer will not accept it.

Am i screwed or am i missing something? Is it possible for him to phone in and say, 'Hey, this is the serial key on the side of my case, i had to reinstall windows xp using my friends retail copy and it will not allow me to use this key now...'

I really hope i'm explaining the situation clearly enough, any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Your screwed.

90% of those small retail shops never use a legit key and usually end up using some corporate key to make it work.

XP Home is cheap.. just buy a couple copies.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 06:11 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31

My System Specs

Default

That's really unfortuneate!

Thanks for the fast reply though.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
Galaad97's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 23
Default

Depends wether your friend has a legit Microsoft ''sticker'' with his serial key on it... If he does, he could probably and ask for a recovery CD, some companies will ship it for free, others will charge just shipping and handling while yet others will charge some fees (Usually less than buying a new copy of course.) If its a company like Dell or some such, it shouldnt be too hard to get help from them. If its a small town store using an 'oem' version of win xp then usually your cd should have worked with his CD-Key.. When it doesnt work its usually because the product key was bought in mass and made for companies like Dell, Acer or whatever.... Then again as the previous poster mentioned, if he doesnt have the 'legit' sticker then its likely a pirated copy which the store he bought it from installed...Then if thats the case, chances are you are screwed :P....

Although even if you're not screwed and the copy is legit from Dell (or another similar company) or something, I guess he'd have to reinstall too.. Since even if they send him a recovery disc, that wont work with your computer heh... But still, I guess he would at least owe you that! Hope that helps.


G.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,348

My System Specs

Default

well your version is probably a home version where your friends key is either corp or pro maybe even student version thats why his key doesn't work and yes without buying a new os you are pretty much screwed and if you plan on buying xp you might as well buy 64bit( if your computer can run it that is) its allot more secure then 32bit.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2008, 08:23 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
well your version is probably a home version where your friends key is either corp or pro maybe even student version thats why his key doesn't work and yes without buying a new os you are pretty much screwed and if you plan on buying xp you might as well buy 64bit( if your computer can run it that is) its allot more secure then 32bit.
64bit isn't any more secure than 32bit.

They are exactly the same and upto the user to prevent ID-10-T errors.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2008, 07:33 AM
Shadowmeph's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,348

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
64bit isn't any more secure than 32bit.

They are exactly the same and up to the user to prevent ID-10-T errors.
sure it is the 64 bit xp kernal is the same as the server 2003 64 bit kernal which is more secure then the 32bit xp kernal
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2008, 08:11 AM
Cheator's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,093
Default

You're not screwed. All he needs is an OEM XP disc, and those are easy enough to get. The reason it won't change isbecause retail discs won't take OEM keys, and OEM discs won't take retail keys. They have different algorithms for different product lines.

You're all good, just get an OEM disc.
__________________
Optimus: Antec P180, Asus P5Q-E, E8400, 4 GB RAM, Asus 4850, Seagate 320gb, Antec TC II

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
ebdoradz's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rouyn-Noranda, QC
Posts: 754
Default

oem disk and reatail disk aren't the same,

you can only use the program to change the CD-Key on windows XP PRO Corporate edition, on all other version of XP that "key chnager" dont work

jsut track down the version of your friend windows XP on his legit sticker. it will be writen : windows xp home(or pro) OEM for OEM or windows Xp home (or pro)for retail.

once you have that, maybe a member could send you a copy of the disk you need so your friend will have to reinstall the whole shitone more time.


EDIT : Just reread the postabove and i have a copy of windows Xp home OEM * crossfinger * i will need to validate that tonight,

if mine is OEM we could check together what we can do
__________________
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P / AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ x4/ Crucial Ballistic DDR3 / Sapphire 4830 512mb / Corsair 620W PSU / 2*80GB Seagate

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cheator's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
oem disk and reatail disk aren't the same,

you can only use the program to change the CD-Key on windows XP PRO Corporate edition, on all other version of XP that "key chnager" dont work

jsut track down the version of your friend windows XP on his legit sticker. it will be writen : windows xp home(or pro) OEM for OEM or windows Xp home (or pro)for retail.

once you have that, maybe a member could send you a copy of the disk you need so your friend will have to reinstall the whole shitone more time.


EDIT : Just reread the postabove and i have a copy of windows Xp home OEM * crossfinger * i will need to validate that tonight,

if mine is OEM we could check together what we can do
I used alot of OEM and non OEM licences during my college course and we found that they love to restrict you on your keys.

A good example was that we had an old, pre-sp1 ISO for win2k3 server, but MSDNAA generated post SP1 keys... so none of our keys worked! (Except for mine, i ordered it before SP1 came out :) ).Expect trouble.
__________________
Optimus: Antec P180, Asus P5Q-E, E8400, 4 GB RAM, Asus 4850, Seagate 320gb, Antec TC II

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes