Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2012, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Windows 8 = Junk.

So I downloaded the consumer preview to get alook what all the fuss was about. I have to ask, what the heck Microsoft was thinking. I have been using windows for a long time. I am used to the layout. Bare with me.

1. It forced me to login in using an email upon fresh install. It does let you revert to a local account after install. But still, this is nonsense.

2. The new start menu/launch menu/ app menu is absolute garbage. I dont think I can ever get used to it. It seems like it was created for people who know nothing about computers at all.

3. I hate the launching of settings, start, recently used, open programs launch from the 4 corners of my screen. Half the time they dont show up and when they do, they dissapear before I can highlight or click something.

4. It took me a while to find the control panel. I use it often and do not like where it is located.

5. I like to have my computer on the desktop, but I cant figure out to put it there.

6. The window design looks very minimalistic and plain. It is too white. Too flat. Too big of a menu at the top. I just plain dont like it.

Honestly from what I have seen it is a huge step back. A step back in looks and functionality, especially for someone who knows how to use a computer and is used to finding things in certain places.

I think this pile of garbage will be a huge flop. It is just that bad.

/Rant.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I installed it on my new desktop. It takes some getting used to , and some of your rants are valid though (the login with a M$ account is BS). It has an Android feel to it I find, I do feel its going to flop but I do enjoy it myself.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"Windows 8 looks to me to be an unmitigated disaster that could decidedly hurt the company and its future."

Microsoft reinvents the wheel with Windows 8 - John Dvorak's Second Opinion - MarketWatch
Old June 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
2. The new start menu/launch menu/ app menu is absolute garbage. I dont think I can ever get used to it. It seems like it was created for people who know nothing about computers at all.

3. I hate the launching of settings, start, recently used, open programs launch from the 4 corners of my screen. Half the time they dont show up and when they do, they dissapear before I can highlight or click something.
From what I've read, they really don't expect people to use that method for accessing programs / settings. They want folks to use the search function so that they don't need to know where the icon / link is to a particular program / feature.

Unless windows 8 ships with the ability to turn metro completely off, it'll only be installed on my win7 acer tablet.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old June 6, 2012, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

FRom what I have been researching today, MS is actively removing any and all code that will allow Win 8 to use a classic starmenu/desktop and removing the ability of hacks to do the same.
Old June 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
Allstar

Man, if they go that route they are going to completely screw themselves. Maybe it's time to buy stock in apple haha.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 6, 2012, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

OEMs like dell are probably dreading it... nothing like having to add an extra tier to your order process for selecting not only which version of OS a person wants, but what actual OS they want. Back in Vista's heyday Dell was actually offering either clean (no OS installed) or Linux boxes because of the pushback against MS.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old June 6, 2012, 09:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
From what I've read, they really don't expect people to use that method for accessing programs / settings. They want folks to use the search function so that they don't need to know where the icon / link is to a particular program / feature.

Unless windows 8 ships with the ability to turn metro completely off, it'll only be installed on my win7 acer tablet.

I'll probably only dual boot it so I can play xbox games on my PC, really the only reason for me...
Old June 6, 2012, 10:12 AM
MVP
F@H

It's a disaster alright, both in implementation and developer support. This is like Coke trying to change their formula in the 80s, what a "success" that was.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old June 6, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i have been playing with windows 8 on my work tablet (dell latitude ST) and i can say that this is a drastic change in how the windows operating system is used. Change is bad for the enterprise segment. Plus the requirement of a ms live account to use an email client is utter BS.

Now on the tablet side of things it is more responsive and easier to use on a tablet computer. But on a desktop it would be a nightmare.

Honestly i don't know what kind of drugs they were on when they dreamed this one up.