Windows 8 = Junk.
So I downloaded the consumer preview to get alook what all the fuss was about. I have to ask, what the heck Microsoft was thinking. I have been using windows for a long time. I am used to the layout. Bare with me.
1. It forced me to login in using an email upon fresh install. It does let you revert to a local account after install. But still, this is nonsense.
2. The new start menu/launch menu/ app menu is absolute garbage. I dont think I can ever get used to it. It seems like it was created for people who know nothing about computers at all.
3. I hate the launching of settings, start, recently used, open programs launch from the 4 corners of my screen. Half the time they dont show up and when they do, they dissapear before I can highlight or click something.
4. It took me a while to find the control panel. I use it often and do not like where it is located.
5. I like to have my computer on the desktop, but I cant figure out to put it there.
6. The window design looks very minimalistic and plain. It is too white. Too flat. Too big of a menu at the top. I just plain dont like it.
Honestly from what I have seen it is a huge step back. A step back in looks and functionality, especially for someone who knows how to use a computer and is used to finding things in certain places.
I think this pile of garbage will be a huge flop. It is just that bad.
I installed it on my new desktop. It takes some getting used to , and some of your rants are valid though (the login with a M$ account is BS). It has an Android feel to it I find, I do feel its going to flop but I do enjoy it myself.
"Windows 8 looks to me to be an unmitigated disaster that could decidedly hurt the company and its future."
Microsoft reinvents the wheel with Windows 8 - John Dvorak's Second Opinion - MarketWatch
Unless windows 8 ships with the ability to turn metro completely off, it'll only be installed on my win7 acer tablet.
FRom what I have been researching today, MS is actively removing any and all code that will allow Win 8 to use a classic starmenu/desktop and removing the ability of hacks to do the same.
Man, if they go that route they are going to completely screw themselves. Maybe it's time to buy stock in apple haha.
OEMs like dell are probably dreading it... nothing like having to add an extra tier to your order process for selecting not only which version of OS a person wants, but what actual OS they want. Back in Vista's heyday Dell was actually offering either clean (no OS installed) or Linux boxes because of the pushback against MS.
I'll probably only dual boot it so I can play xbox games on my PC, really the only reason for me...
It's a disaster alright, both in implementation and developer support. This is like Coke trying to change their formula in the 80s, what a "success" that was. :blarg:
well i have been playing with windows 8 on my work tablet (dell latitude ST) and i can say that this is a drastic change in how the windows operating system is used. Change is bad for the enterprise segment. Plus the requirement of a ms live account to use an email client is utter BS.
Now on the tablet side of things it is more responsive and easier to use on a tablet computer. But on a desktop it would be a nightmare.
Honestly i don't know what kind of drugs they were on when they dreamed this one up.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00 PM.|