Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I tried it again using my technet acct. I hate it soo bad.

Flip side, my 15yr old daughter loves it.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

People still hating on Windows 8? Really? I've been using it for over a month now without any major complaints. Yes, the interface takes some time to get used to, but so did 7 compared to XP.

If you really want your 7 interface back, Start8 was recently updated to do just that. Brings back your "normal" start menu and boots directly to the desktop.

Overall though, it's a much more fluid feeling OS. Seems speedier but likely just placebo.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
People still hating on Windows 8? Really? I've been using it for over a month now without any major complaints. Yes, the interface takes some time to get used to, but so did 7 compared to XP.

If you really want your 7 interface back, Start8 was recently updated to do just that. Brings back your "normal" start menu and boots directly to the desktop.

Overall though, it's a much more fluid feeling OS. Seems speedier but likely just placebo.
The difference was XP vs Vista not XP vs Windows 7.

The issue with Windows 8 is they removed key things from the OS that people still use and want to use but are being forced to NOT use.

I personally enjoy the start menu and use it quite extensively and I hate the Metro UI.

This is a tablet OS and that is that.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got my productivity with Windows 8 to around the level I had with 7 since Release Preview came out. I now have Windows 8 running on my main rig. I've used so many platforms - Gnome2/3, KDE3/4, Windows Vista/7/8, Android 3.2/4 - that I don't "require" anything to be in a specific spot in a GUI, as long as the functionality is accessible somehow. Of course that's just me, and I know quite a few people who will curse at Win8 for hours if they were forced to use it.

Although it seems unusual at first, the big start screen is working for me. I'm able to find my programs faster since all the stuff I actually use can fit all on the 1 page without additional clicks to go to submenus. (Note I've used the "Super"/"Windows" key ever since I got a keyboard that had one, so I actually don't have a need for the button being on the screen.) What I can't get used to however is the strangeness when I have to use a Metro UI (aka "Store") app and a desktop app, for instance the built-in PDF reader and Firefox. The snapped Metro app doesn't have enough to be useful, and you can't put a "fullscreen" Metro app beside a Desktop app for side-by-side viewing or copy-pasting links and whatnot.

While desktop is a mixed bag, I can't wait to get a nice Win8 multitouch laptop/tablet hybrid to replace my Acer Iconia + Samsung QX411 combo. The Android apps are all over the place with their UI, and syncing files between my Android tablet and my Windows devices is painful for the instances when I do not want to use the cloud to sync them. Hopefully a nice device running AMD Trinity will come out.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The difference was XP vs Vista not XP vs Windows 7.
I would beg to differ. Most people went XP to Win7, especially at the enterprise level. We're still in the midst of migrating to Win7 at my workplace for that matter.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
I would beg to differ. Most people went XP to Win7, especially at the enterprise level. We're still in the midst of migrating to Win7 at my workplace for that matter.
The big project at work for us starting this spring and into the fall is moving from XP to Windows 7.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Lol, my employer has only recently gone to XP Pro.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My employer is also planning the migration windows 7 and outlook in the next months (2013 probably)... I don't mind XP, but I just want to get rid of lotus note

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old September 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
My employer is also planning the migration windows 7 and outlook in the next months (2013 probably)... I don't mind XP, but I just want to get rid of lotus note
Same here, I hate Notes with a passion.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Same here, I hate Notes with a passion.
Haha at work, I refer to Lotus Notes as Locust Notes as I hate it like the plague.

As for Windows 8, I did give a beta version a try and hated the interface. Problem is, I'm going to have to deal with it at some point so the question is, do I want to learn Windows 8 on my own terms (ie. on my primary laptop/PC) or do I want to learn it with a user hovering over my shoulder waiting for me to fix it?

Downloading my technet Enterprise Win 8 now...
Fold for team #54196