Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
This is the only metro thing you're forced to use, and I'm pretty much onboard with the Ars review regarding the start screen - it's different, and takes getting used to, but afterwards it's pretty much on par with the old start menu, not much better or worse.

Just wondering but have you tried using it on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor? Instead of everything in the start menu within a couple inches, you have stuff stretching across 27". And you have to remember that while this may be the "only" metro thing you are forced to use, they treat it like that is what should be up at all times. They do not want you to be looking at the desktop.

Also about going to the corners, yes it works on a 10" tablet, but it greatly increases time and frustration to do things when you are using a large monitor, or even worse multiple large monitors.

And then like I mentioned before while the new preview they released doesn't show it, they have completely canned aero and are removing transparency and making everything white instead. Frankly it looks a lot like old windows 3.1 and not nice and smooth like 7 is.

Old June 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Junk I tell you. Maybe I'll go for the new macbook pro with retina display.....2880x1800
Old June 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Just wondering but have you tried using it on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor? Instead of everything in the start menu within a couple inches, you have stuff stretching across 27". And you have to remember that while this may be the "only" metro thing you are forced to use, they treat it like that is what should be up at all times. They do not want you to be looking at the desktop.

Also about going to the corners, yes it works on a 10" tablet, but it greatly increases time and frustration to do things when you are using a large monitor, or even worse multiple large monitors.

And then like I mentioned before while the new preview they released doesn't show it, they have completely canned aero and are removing transparency and making everything white instead. Frankly it looks a lot like old windows 3.1 and not nice and smooth like 7 is.
That's what I was wondering about... one of the main complaints about the preview was that even when using standard desktop only apps / programs, the system kept returning back to the metro interface when switching between different apps... has that changed in the latest release?

Bottom line I think for most folks is that they don't want to even catch a glimpse of metro on their desktops or they'll just stick with windows 7 thank you very much.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That's what I was wondering about... one of the main complaints about the preview was that even when using standard desktop only apps / programs, the system kept returning back to the metro interface when switching between different apps... has that changed in the latest release?

Bottom line I think for most folks is that they don't want to even catch a glimpse of metro on their desktops or they'll just stick with windows 7 thank you very much.
Alt-tab works essentially the same as in Win7 (it switches between metro apps too, but if you don't use metro apps, it works the same as Win8), I'm not sure what else you're referring to?

Quote:
Just wondering but have you tried using it on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor? Instead of everything in the start menu within a couple inches, you have stuff stretching across 27".
I never click on stuff on either the start menu or the start screen anyway, I just hit the Windows key and start typing. I do wish they'd put in an option for start screen searches to work across all items rather than being contextual like it is now.

Last edited by Mars; June 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Just wondering but have you tried using it on a 27" 2560x1440 monitor? Instead of everything in the start menu within a couple inches, you have stuff stretching across 27". And you have to remember that while this may be the "only" metro thing you are forced to use, they treat it like that is what should be up at all times. They do not want you to be looking at the desktop. .
It does suck for sure. I keep Metro on my old 22" (1680x1050) though which is tucked in the corner of my desk, so it looks fine from being about 2 arm's length away from me.

Then at least my 27" is always showing the desktop and associated "desktop apps". Marginally better, but I shouldn't have to have my start menu on a 2nd display.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

This is quite funny:
Minecraft creator Markuss Persson has foiled Microsoft’s attempt to clarify the game for Windows 8. The much-loved Notch once again took to Twitter in order to discuss his thoughts. As ever, there’s no punches pulled.

Notch’s tweets can be viewed below:
Got an email from microsoft, wanting to help “certify” minecraft for win 8. I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform.
— Markus Persson (@notch) September 27, 2012
I’d rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way..
Old September 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
This is quite funny:
Minecraft creator Markuss Persson has foiled Microsoft’s attempt to clarify the game for Windows 8. The much-loved Notch once again took to Twitter in order to discuss his thoughts. As ever, there’s no punches pulled.

Notch’s tweets can be viewed below:
Got an email from microsoft, wanting to help “certify” minecraft for win 8. I told them to stop trying to ruin the pc as an open platform.
I’d rather have minecraft not run on win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way..
That's some pretty heavy duty pushback from a well recognized name. Wonder how many more of these it'll take for MS to change direction?

Editorial in Max PC this month basically said, it sucks but not as much as people are making out, and it's not going to change anywise. (Wait for Win9 without any traditional desktop at all).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
Allstar

Minecraft run well on Windows 8.... the main problem I get with 8 is ie 10, if you use it to go to CIBC, you can't see the statements, on many other websites it's as problem too, on the other end, the new Google Chrome work well as a metro or regular desktop version. I try few round of BF3, it's seems ok now with the new Nvidia drivers. But I still hate what MS is doing.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think I'll enjoy it on raspberry Pi devices when the ARM edition is released.

As for a multi-display desktop. I'm sticking with 7.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Minecraft run well on Windows 8.... the main problem I get with 8 is ie 10, if you use it to go to CIBC, you can't see the statements, on many other websites it's as problem too, on the other end, the new Google Chrome work well as a metro or regular desktop version. I try few round of BF3, it's seems ok now with the new Nvidia drivers. But I still hate what MS is doing.
Most websites are STILL developed for IE 8 not even 9 so it its no surprise that IE 10 doesn't even work and I can guarantee you it will be quite some time before 10 is even support.. or wait.. stop using a shitty browser and use a better one.