Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2012, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
bad idea on so many levels.

wanna try it.. Virtualize it.
I'm not too worried. The IT guys are good, and being as I use a desktop and a laptop at work, I would only cannibalize one.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,226

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by croy_00 View Post
Work told us yesterday we can start rolling over to Win 8 if we like. It's not mandatory though lol. I might try it on my work PC just because I like being familiar with new software so I can help others out when they have problems.
"New" and "preview" are two different terms (Google services is an exception). A lot of stuff could still change, so I'd hold off on trying Windows 8 in an attempt to try to become productive with it for now. Think about how different games are between their beta and release.
You must have some relaxed, forward-thinking IT, or your company is big on competitive analysis...
__________________
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
MVP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
But that's the whole point... it's not that they "can't" give us the ability to turn off metro, it's that they very specifically don't want to. In their minds (or at least in the one mind that's making this particular policy decision) they're dragging us "dinasours" kicking and screaming into the 21'st century whether we want them to or not.
I'm not really seeing much of a problem here - the desktop experience with Win8 is very similar to Win7, and nothing is forcing you to use metro apps.

Ars had a very good review of desktop usage in Win8: Windows 8 on the desktop
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2012, 03:52 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,532

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I'm not really seeing much of a problem here - the desktop experience with Win8 is very similar to Win7, and nothing is forcing you to use metro apps.

Ars had a very good review of desktop usage in Win8: Windows 8 on the desktop
Ummmmm... did we read the same review?

Basically what I'm getting out of that review is that there is absolutely no reason to install win8 if you intend to use the traditional desktop. In fact, what I'm reading out of it is that the metro interface is going to make attempting to use a traditional desktop "frustrating" at best......

2 pages of a 5 page review are dedicated to improved traditional desktop apps, and the last two seem to be dedicated to explaining why using those improvements will be a pain in the arse.....

What we want is a way to turn off the metro interface completely... what we're getting is MS pushing devs away from traditional apps towards metro apps to remove the possibility of staying with win7.
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old June 9, 2012, 05:01 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,058

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I'm not really seeing much of a problem here - the desktop experience with Win8 is very similar to Win7, and nothing is forcing you to use metro apps.

Ars had a very good review of desktop usage in Win8: Windows 8 on the desktop
It does force you to use Metro apps, namely the start menu. Look all they would have to do to please the vast majority of people complaining about it is to give us the option to give us the standard start menu and not be forced to use metro styled apps. Oh and give back my Aero, because they think that having nice looking transparency is bad and so they are going to a completely flat non transparent look, like server style. But of course is that on the latest build, no of course not. They tell people that this build is near the final product, but then don't include a huge difference in the entire UI when not in metro.

All in all, I want my windows 7 with some of the enhancements they have done with windows 8, copying is better as is the task manager. Also their multi-monitor support is also better. Really just add those things and cut all the forced metro crap and call it a Desktop edition and people will get it. But let me say that I did not have a single person like it when I had it set up on a desktop in my office. They all thought it to be clunky and not one person liked going to the corners for everything.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old June 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,670
Default

I've always been a windows fan, hell I bought and LIKED Vista but this....this is junk as the op said. Theres some stuff I sort of like, the new copying, the task manager, better multi monitor (which doesnt go far enough) but the entire metro concept destroys any chance that I ever had of buying it for my pc or laptop. I do not want a tablet OS on my non touchscreen (and no sticking a touchscreen in a laptop does not suit me either) devices.

All Microsoft has to do to salvage some of my hope for them is release it as windows TABLET.
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old June 10, 2012, 07:27 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,589

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Enterprise is always the slowest to switch anyways. We're still (mainly) running XP at work. Windows 7 has just begun deployment a few weeks ago after countless years of "testing" and "development".

I don't think my workplace is a rare case either, most hang onto an OS until MS finally declares it end-of-support.

However I think Vista support is ending soon too, much shorter than XP's life cycle, so they could very well do the same with Windows 7 to get people to upgrade.
It's not, businesses don't like to switch OSes incase it breaks something. Usually they'll drag their heals until they can no longer do it. This is the case with how XP was a great OS, most business waited as long as they could to see Win 7 as the true successor to XP.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old June 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ummmmm... did we read the same review?

Basically what I'm getting out of that review is that there is absolutely no reason to install win8 if you intend to use the traditional desktop. In fact, what I'm reading out of it is that the metro interface is going to make attempting to use a traditional desktop "frustrating" at best......

2 pages of a 5 page review are dedicated to improved traditional desktop apps, and the last two seem to be dedicated to explaining why using those improvements will be a pain in the arse.....

What we want is a way to turn off the metro interface completely... what we're getting is MS pushing devs away from traditional apps towards metro apps to remove the possibility of staying with win7.
"No reason to install win8 if you intend to use the traditional desktop" isn't mutually exclusive with "no reason not to install win8 if you intent to use the traditional desktop".

Most of the metro/desktop inconsistencies they talk about in the review are relatively minor things, which MS looks to be working on. (ie. Hot corners in multimonitors went from worthless to passable with the release preview)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
It does force you to use Metro apps, namely the start menu.
This is the only metro thing you're forced to use, and I'm pretty much onboard with the Ars review regarding the start screen - it's different, and takes getting used to, but afterwards it's pretty much on par with the old start menu, not much better or worse.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old June 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
"New" and "preview" are two different terms (Google services is an exception). A lot of stuff could still change, so I'd hold off on trying Windows 8 in an attempt to try to become productive with it for now. Think about how different games are between their beta and release.
You must have some relaxed, forward-thinking IT, or your company is big on competitive analysis...
Well, I work for Microsoft, so I am guessing that is one of the reasons they are allowing us to move over to Windows 8. I installed it last night. I really like the customization options for the desktop, and man does it start fast. It is definitely going to take a bit of getting used to, but so far I don't dislike it. I will say though, it took me a while to figure out where the power button was lol.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old June 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,039

My System Specs

Default

There are good things about Windows 8 that I would want.

Disabling metro is a must, or it'll never see my desktop, period.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just checked my junk mail folder jibz Off Topic 6 February 5, 2011 04:14 PM
BFG GTX 285 piece of junk and warranty worse Ukonjack Video Cards 32 June 12, 2009 08:57 AM
680i = JUNK nckid4u HardwareCanucks F@H Team 15 May 19, 2009 06:48 AM
[FS] RONEDOGG'S Box O' Junk RONEDOGG Buy/Sell & Trade 8 April 27, 2009 04:17 AM
[WTT] One man's junk is another man's treasure, lets trade!! zzaa604 Buy/Sell & Trade 7 January 10, 2009 08:25 AM