Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

I ran XP till 7 came out because of the pile Vista was.

I'll hold true with 7 till another good Windows OS makes it out.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Part of the problem with the corp/public sector is that there is a huge trend now of BYOD (bring your own device). Because of this we are pretty much guarenteed to have devices with Windows 8 on them. Now that is not really such a bad thing with regards to tablets and phones since it would make things easier for connecting to shares, printers and such.

What drives me nuts is that I am worried that there are people who will want to start switching others over to Win 8. No I have already stated to others I work with including my boss that I will not switch people to Win 8 over Win 7 as it will just cause way more issues. I mean I had enough issues just getting people to switch from office 07 to office 10, can you imagine the kickback from something like this?

But like AkG said, only if they come out with a Win 8 DE version that gives us the start menu back and keeps aero will I even consider switching. It kind of sucks a bit too, as I do really like the new task manager in 8.

Old June 8, 2012, 05:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Enterprise is always the slowest to switch anyways. We're still (mainly) running XP at work. Windows 7 has just begun deployment a few weeks ago after countless years of "testing" and "development".

I don't think my workplace is a rare case either, most hang onto an OS until MS finally declares it end-of-support.

However I think Vista support is ending soon too, much shorter than XP's life cycle, so they could very well do the same with Windows 7 to get people to upgrade.
Old June 8, 2012, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

It seems to me that they went after the smart phone users.

Which only further highlights how much MS has learned to take their user base for granted.

Something tells me that this is going to wind up being the best Christmas present to Ubuntu and Mac that MS could ever have given.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:24 AM
Allstar

The scary thing is that with UEFI "BIOS" you can lock the BIOS to the OS, so if Macro$haft wanted to produce consumer locking, they just browbeat the computer and mobo manufacturers into locking OUT anything but Win8. They'de likely get sued but who do you think would win (in practical terms) ?
Old June 8, 2012, 10:24 PM
MVP

This thread kind of reminded me about this article: Technology - Alexis Madrigal - Sorry, Young Man, You're Not the Most Important Demographic in Tech - The Atlantic
Quote:
Sit with this for a minute. Let me break out the categories where women are leading tech adoption: Internet usage Mobile phone voice usage Mobile phone location-based services Text messaging Skype Every social networking site aside from LinkedIn All Internet-enabled devices E-readers Health-care devices GPS
Consumers like those who use this forum used to drive tech; no longer. I see Windows 8 as a reflection of this. I don't like Metro, nor do I like OSX or iOS. I really don't care for Android either. Don't get me started about Gnome 3. This happens to pretty much everything I enjoy. Once an interest becomes mainstream, it turns to crap most of the time.
Old June 8, 2012, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If they can have skew after skew for basic, premium, pro, ultimate, blah, blah, blah, why not have a skew catering to us who want the old style. Even if it is in ultimate? They can then charge us an extra $50 to be without that crap they call Metro.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
If they can have skew after skew for basic, premium, pro, ultimate, blah, blah, blah, why not have a skew catering to us who want the old style. Even if it is in ultimate? They can then charge us an extra $50 to be without that crap they call Metro.
But that's the whole point... it's not that they "can't" give us the ability to turn off metro, it's that they very specifically don't want to. In their minds (or at least in the one mind that's making this particular policy decision) they're dragging us "dinasours" kicking and screaming into the 21'st century whether we want them to or not.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 9, 2012, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Work told us yesterday we can start rolling over to Win 8 if we like. It's not mandatory though lol. I might try it on my work PC just because I like being familiar with new software so I can help others out when they have problems.
Old June 9, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by croy_00 View Post
Work told us yesterday we can start rolling over to Win 8 if we like. It's not mandatory though lol. I might try it on my work PC just because I like being familiar with new software so I can help others out when they have problems.
bad idea on so many levels.

wanna try it.. Virtualize it.