Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Allstar

I'm using XP for games and the rare app/file that needs a Windows environemnt. My hoem systems and our workplace (with the exception of testing machines) have been Linux and BSD for many years now.

As regards the Star Trek reference above - funny that the new interface is starting to look like the computer touch interface from ST. Next we'll have to start memorizing library refernce numbers for the icon "buttons".
Old June 7, 2012, 04:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This comment from Dvorak's article really caught my eye:

Quote:
Most applications cannot even be scaled down and so take up the whole screen. To even get out of these “apps,” you have to ram the cursor down into the lower left corner and click. That puts you back onto the vapid “Metro” start screen, where you can begin another miserable adventure.
Wait, what? Windows OS doesn't feature program windows anymore?
Old June 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post

That is correct with the Metro apps. Normal windows applications can have windows but they don't want you to use those. They want everyone to use Metro apps in the Metro UI and buy them all in the App market and basically they want a phone/tablet OS on your desktop.

I really do dislike Win 8 and just don't see it working on a desktop/laptop.

Old June 7, 2012, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
That is correct with the Metro apps. Normal windows applications can have windows but they don't want you to use those. They want everyone to use Metro apps in the Metro UI and buy them all in the App market and basically they want a phone/tablet OS on your desktop.

I really do dislike Win 8 and just don't see it working on a desktop/laptop.
Didn't they even go so far as to pull certain support for devs unless they were developing for win 8/metro? IIRC that was the impression folks got when they pulled MS website access to new gadgets.

Everything I read/hear WRT win8 points to a decision having been made in MS management to shove it (and metro) down our throats whether we want it or not.......

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 7, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly, Bill Gates is part of the problem, not part of the solution. He is part of much larger things than I do not care to elaborate on here and he is quite known for his contempt of us normals. It is no surprise to me that they are doing what they believe is best for the consumer. Just another sign of globalization and eugenics.
Old June 7, 2012, 09:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Bill Gates hasnt be an active part of MS in a loooong time. This turd is all Balmers doing (just like the ribbon w/out any classic mode was his idea...that B G actually brought up when asked and was over ruled as it being "too difficult" to add in). But yeah Billy boy is and always will be a douche....just one who is trying to buy his way into heaven the old...OLD fashioned way.

Tablets may indeed be a part of the future...but desktop rigs (with no touch screen interface)...aint going anywhere for a looong time. MS shot their load about 5 versions to soon (and even then...backwards compatibility would have been crucial to its success).

Only way to save this is IF they come out with a "Win 8 DE" version...as in Win 8 Desktop Edition. No corp is going to touch this, no enthusiast PC user is going to touch this...and most home users are going to HATE this. In the mean time I will wait for WIn 9 as Windows 7 is "good enough"...just like XP was.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 7, 2012, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can anybody really imagine metro in an office environment?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 7, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Can anybody really imagine metro in an office environment?
I'll let you know if I try acid sometime after Windows 8 comes out. That's probably the only time I could fathom that.

I'm still calling it Windows Tablet. I'll run Windows 7 for as long as I can if all they keep shoving this down our throats.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 7, 2012, 09:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately, with the apparent mindset behind the "one OS to rule them all" which seems to be driving windows 8 dev, I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to pull some kind of enterprise crap where they fully integrate mobile MS apps + MS cloud with the office desktop environment... the kicker is that you'll have to be running win 8 on all PCs in the network... it'll be pushed as both a productivity and a security must have.

Old June 7, 2012, 09:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

corp wont adopt 8. they'll run 7 via downgrade rights for years to come.

Last year you could still still buy corp model HP's, Lenovo's, Dell's (etc) pre imaged with win XP Pro. Desktops and laptops.