Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

RC is out now and as i stated on irc this os is designed for tablets not a desktop. I mean they removed the start button and no longer available.
Old June 6, 2012, 10:59 AM
Allstar

M$ has been harping on Tablets being the future of PC computing since Windows For Workgroups (3.11). They have finally designed an operating system more suited to tablets and phones than desktops and laptops. Well they may have shot themselves in the foot on this one as there are soem very viable alternatives available these days for desktops and laptos. The only way this crap will take of is forced obsolescence of Win7 by M$ (and they'll do it too).

You *can* enable the Win7 style interface but it still elaves many things not working as expected and feeling awkward.
Old June 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
Allstar

You want worst ? They use the same BS metro crap on their Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate
Old June 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
M$ has been harping on Tablets being the future of PC computing since Windows For Workgroups (3.11). They have finally designed an operating system more suited to tablets and phones than desktops and laptops. Well they may have shot themselves in the foot on this one as there are soem very viable alternatives available these days for desktops and laptos. The only way this crap will take of is forced obsolescence of Win7 by M$ (and they'll do it too).

You *can* enable the Win7 style interface but it still elaves many things not working as expected and feeling awkward.
Are you refering to the third party "fixes" that MS is supposedly actively trying to break, or to the registry "hack" for devs during the beta? If it's the reg "hack", that was nerfed for the public preview and will not be included in the release unless somebody makes a U-Turn in the MS policy division.

I really wish somebody would get their crap together and release a workable opensource linux gaming solution that game devs could get behind.... gaming is the only thing keeping MS OS on my hardware.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 6, 2012, 11:27 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
You want worst ? They use the same BS metro crap on their Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate
Sigh, I have not had a chance to use 2012 yet... My test server is being used right now in a production environment over a RAID card screw up so I have not had a chance to play with Win 8 RC or 2012. I did find the previous release of Win 8 Metro on a eyefinity set up to be pointless. Honestly if they kept the desktop and enabled metro like a window or when you hit the start button it would be fine. But metro is a disaster as the main "screen".
Old June 6, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Metro....server...in the same sentence.....ugh. THAT is one SCARY thought. Things like that made me glad I got out of the rat race when I did.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I really wish somebody would get their crap together and release a workable opensource linux gaming solution that game devs could get behind.... gaming is the only thing keeping MS OS on my hardware.
That and drivers for me. Linux or Unix would be really nice.
Old June 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Are you refering to the third party "fixes" that MS is supposedly actively trying to break, or to the registry "hack" for devs during the beta? If it's the reg "hack", that was nerfed for the public preview and will not be included in the release unless somebody makes a U-Turn in the MS policy division.

technically linux can do gaming just fine if not better than windows but it requires developers to use openly instead of directories which just is not going to happen because games are prettier with direct instead of opengl
Old June 6, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the release preview over the customer preview alleviated the Alt+Tab gripe I had (you can now alt+tab across multiple Desktop apps, rather than Desktop being set as one entity).

Since I normally computer with mouse / touchpad sensitivity cranked way up, the Metro doesn't bother me as much as the way Metro and Desktop are separated. Look at the development models - the only way you can develop a Metro app is using Windows 8 + its corresponding Visual Studio. This surely goes against the "Developers, Developers, Developers" that MS was trying to court...

Anyway Win8 is still a tech demo IMO until it is actually released. I'll check back then to see if I should build a home server with a touch monitor
Old June 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Doesnt matter if Microsoft tries to enforce metro; this is a pc, which will be hacked accordingly. Programs, launchets, etc will be made available, and ms will be lucky it does
Fold for team #54196