LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2012, 03:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Win XP MCE 2005 CD invalid?

Hello everyone.

Here is my story.
I promised a friend to back up and maybe fix their family computer. Not looking good right now. Broken a clip and the stupid radeon card fan is craping out on me, grinding like a about to be dead harddrive.

Anyways it is a HP pre-built PC with corrupted OS. Most likey due the the fact that he use a 2006 norton cd to remove his virus and back up his files. The OS seems to have messed up big time, it won't even detect a usb mouse + PS2 Keyboard. So, I decided to do a fresh install, I pull the ISO off the net and as get to the enter cd key part, it tells me CD Invalid. I double check the sticker on the case, it has all the genuine writings and such. It is a future shop bought PC.

The MCE 2005 iso is 2 cd written at 1x speed.

Someone help me out here.

It is a HP a1630n with a ati 1300 add on card.
HP Pavilion Media Center a1630n Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Media Center a1630n Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
2gb ram
Old May 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would say try another MCE ISO, but I think everything out there is either going to be pre-cracked or it'll be flaky. I doubt you can find a retail ISO at this point.

You could attempt to contact HP to get proper media, but I don't know if that's even possible at this point. You most likely need the special OEM build which has the necessary branding files for HP in order to use the key.

If I was you, I'd just advise them to upgrade to Windows 7 since XP is basically EOL. Spec wise it looks like that PC should be fine.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Windows MCE/XP requires an OEM cd to use the OEM COA. You cannot use a retail or enterprise CD to install OEM. Even then that COA may not work. Cut their losses, get Windows 7 as HP will only give you an install disk for $$$ and most likely for the same cost as a Windows 7 COA and install CD. Besides that, Windows 7 is far better than XP in every way, including media center functionality.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try to find an OEM MCE SP2 *DVD*, it's what I use at work (got it from TPB I believe). We had lots of troubles with the 2 CDs at work. Also, the SP3 DVD version we downloaded was also crap at accepting keys. Had the most luck with the SP2 DVD.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You could attempt to contact HP to get proper media, but I don't know if that's even possible at this point. You most likely need the special OEM build which has the necessary branding files for HP in order to use the key.
- This...

I have never gotten a normal Windows XP install disc to work with the key on the side of an HP machine. As JD mentioned, I noticed HP installs of Windows XP are tied to HP-branded motherboards somehow. If you can find Windows XP media for ANY model of an HP machine, you should be able to install without the need for activation (as the Windows install will detect the HPness). I got the Windows XP home install disk for a laptop to work on my old HP desktop for instance.
I assume the original owner never kept that install CD or DVD set, nor have they backed up the OEM install partition?
You could try the phone number for activation as well, although I think MS discontinued that.

That hardware is old enough to have full Linux support if they don't have anything that absolutely needs Windows... (volunteer for Ubuntu project )
Old May 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Try to find an OEM MCE SP2 *DVD*, it's what I use at work (got it from TPB I believe). We had lots of troubles with the 2 CDs at work. Also, the SP3 DVD version we downloaded was also crap at accepting keys. Had the most luck with the SP2 DVD.
That's a pretty bad practice at your workplace

I've played with building XP MCE DVD's in the past too, and it is always tricky to get it to actually accept MCE keys as really it's just XP Home with the MCE addon (thus 2 CDs). It was just a very clunky solution on MS's part.

If you or somebody you know has MSDN/TechNet subscription, they should be able to get you proper retail media.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All our disks are torrents. I took the time to clean the cracks and stuff out though. Only thing that's set up on the disk is an unattended install with a master key, then it gets activated with the customer key. Old ownership got bit in the ass by doing cracked installs, MS sent them a hefty fine.

(What do you expect from a store with a staff of 6 people? )

Also, XP MCE is actually based on XP Professional.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just use the discs you have and then crack it, don't even bother using the code. You have a legit copy, I don't see the problem. The code is obviously real for a copy of Win XP Media Center 2005.