Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Default Exit Windows Vista setup safely after partitioning?

Hello,

I'm about to install Windows 7 on brandnew computer with a 500GB hard drive. I would like to avoid the dreaded 200mb system recovery partition as I will never use bitlocker or the Windows 7 recovery, backup stuff stored on the partition. I was told to avoid this I would need to create my partitions with a Windows Vista DVD and then exit setup after I've partitioned. I've got no experience with Vista and I don't know how you would exit setup safely after you've finished partitioning. I know in Windows XP it's press F3 twice but not sure about Vista as I skipped it and stayed with XP. I was told another way is to create the partitions in Diskpart but I rather not go back to the Windows 98 of doing things.
Old May 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The "System Reserved Partition" that you speak of only gets created if the drive is empty. That said, after the Vista installer says the partition is created, you can pretty much close the installer any way you like. The graphical installer has an "X" button like any Windows program that should restart the computer after a bunch of prompts, or you can even use the reset or power button on your computer case.

You say the drive is blank anyway, so there's no chance of you corrupting it. If you want, when you go back to the Windows 7 installer, you can reformat the partition (do not delete it!) and then install to it without having to create the system reserved partition.

General tip: However you play with the install, make sure that 500GB hard disk is the ONLY drive plugged in when you're installing. Having other drives or USB sticks has a way of breaking Windows installs with the bootloader going into strange places.

Last edited by frontier204; May 10, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: clarify
Old May 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Thank you, for advice I'll do that. It's the only drive installed. I was also told I could use a GParted Live CD which was my original idea. I read comments on other forums saying the partitons would be misaligned, if I did that, is that true? I've only ever formated hard drives in fdisk,windows disk manager.

Last edited by johnniecache; May 10, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep you can get the partition misaligned, but only if you use an old tool (e.g. Windows XP era). The newer GParted (say... 2010'ish?), Vista's installer, and Windows 7's installer align partitions properly depending on the drive you plugged in.
Edit: Note you only have to care about partition alignment if the drive has 4k sectors. All SSDs have 4k sectors, as do some hard drives, but for hard drives the spec sheet will SAY somewhere it has 4k sectors. (a.k.a. "Advanced Format")
Old May 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The partition always says it's 100meg.

You're seriously going to worry about 100meg of space?

I'd just let Win7 do what it wants to do. You'll likely be happier later due to it rather than rejoicing over 100meg of space saved.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Yep you can get the partition misaligned, but only if you use an old tool (e.g. Windows XP era). The newer GParted (say... 2010'ish?), Vista's installer, and Windows 7's installer align partitions properly depending on the drive you plugged in.
Edit: Note you only have to care about partition alignment if the drive has 4k sectors. All SSDs have 4k sectors, as do some hard drives, but for hard drives the spec sheet will SAY somewhere it has 4k sectors. (a.k.a. "Advanced Format")
My drive is mechanical Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA3 (ST500DM002) so I believe it does use 4k sectors. I planned on using the lastest GParted Live CD from there website It's dated 2012-04-10; I assume it would align correctly? Are the partitions created in GParted any different then the ones created in Diskpart? Thanks again for the information.