Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2012, 03:35 AM
Allstar

Default Handbrake quality setting

Is Constant Quality actually better than average bit rate in Handbrake? I read their wiki and it say that using a 22 +/- 1 setting for HD video is fine. I'm surprise to see the wiki state that using CQ is actually better than using average bit rate as the prior give you control over quality instead of file size. But I thought bit rate of the video determines the over all quality. I tested using a setting of 22 and 21 and both result in lower bit rate and smaller files. However, I can't seem to tell the difference in terms of video quality. Any suggestions?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ConstantQuality
Old May 4, 2012, 07:43 AM
Allstar

I have backed up all my BRs, and I have kept a raw rip of them on my home server for this same reason. I started ripping at a constant rate 2 pass, took a bit to do.... Then on one BR I wanted to watch quickly I threw it through the slider option and I could not tell the difference or any defects, and it was a smaller file. I have not ripped the same BR twice and taken a closer look at it, but I can say I didn't notice a difference from 15' away. I would also like to know the optimal settings people have figured out.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Constant quality is a variable bit-rate that adjusts the bit-rate depending on the frame. I suggest using constant quality, as do the developers, for the best quality/compression ratio. I use RF 20 (ref. and B-frames @ 3 for maximal compatibility) and some of my ~20GB Blu-ray rips come out as ~5GB 1080p MKVs (core audio uncompressed), majority come out ~7-8GB.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

finally someone explains what alot of those settings are lol I always just guessed .