Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   OS for File Server (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/53135-os-file-server.html)

w0z April 7, 2012 08:29 AM

OS for File Server

Hello all,

I am looking for your guys opinion on what is the best OS for a simple File Server.

Thanks
w0z

JD April 7, 2012 09:09 AM

This comes to mind: FreeNAS 8 | Storage For Open Source

lowfat April 7, 2012 09:27 AM

Just a file server? Then definitely something like FreeNAS. Now many HDD's do you plan on using?

w0z April 7, 2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 618631)
Just a file server? Then definitely something like FreeNAS. Now many HDD's do you plan on using?

I currently have 4 of these on the way

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD - Western Digital WD - WD20EARX

A little bit more info:

I have:

3 Windows Machines
2 Mac Machines

that i would like to connect to the file server.

Thanks for the help
w0z

botat29 April 7, 2012 09:56 AM

Freenas is good, but At $51, I will also look at Windows Home Server 2011 , it has a very friendly dashboard . It will back up your PC and Mac too. I like it, if as example you lost a HD on a PC you just install a new HD and put the recovery CD in the PC and it will go get the restore image on the server ( from your backup) and reinstall all the HD like it was before the HD crash. What I like most; it use NTFS so if something happen to the server motherboard, you can simply place the HDs in any PC and you have instant access to all your files, and it's a Windows product, so you already familiar with it.

NyteOwl April 7, 2012 11:04 AM

For basic network accessible file storage and backup it's hard to beat the FreeNAS package. OpenFiler is a bit more feature rich but also commensurately complicated.

yamawho April 7, 2012 11:17 AM

I used FreeNAS for a few years but it did not support printing ... does it now?

lowfat April 7, 2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 618645)
Freenas is good, but At $51, I will also look at Windows Home Server 2011 , it has a very friendly dashboard . It will back up your PC and Mac too. I like it, if as example you lost a HD on a PC you just install a new HD and put the recovery CD in the PC and it will go get the restore image on the server ( from your backup) and reinstall all the HD like it was before the HD crash. What I like most; it use NTFS so if something happen to the server motherboard, you can simply place the HDs in any PC and you have instant access to all your files, and it's a Windows product, so you already familiar with it.

Can it actually backup a Mac? This is the first I've heard of this.

Keywork April 7, 2012 02:25 PM

If you do go with Freenas and end up using RAIDZ (ZFS's take on RAID), be sure to read up on it's limitations (adding additional drives later and so on).

botat29 April 7, 2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 618706)
Can it actually backup a Mac? This is the first I've heard of this.

you have 2 way to do it, the easy one with Orbital Backup Configuration Add-In for WHS or SBS 2011 , it work only on OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and up

Orbital Technologies News and Updates in Custom Software Development Services

it's free the download is here

Orbital Backup Configuration - We Got Served Forums

and the manual one, it's a little bit tricky but it work, here how to do it

SeanDaniel.com: How to Enable TimeMachine Backup for your MAC to your Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials or Windows Home Server 2011