Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2012, 08:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default urgent!! boot priority randomly changed, and system cant find operating system!

hey guys i am having a very strang problem. I was on my system today, and i was listening to music on itunes while copying some files to a usb. everything was fine and all of a sudden an itunes error popped up, and i could only read it vaguely because it only lasted a couple of seconds, but from what i read it said "itunes cant seem to find the files......" then all of a sudden my system restarted. when it restarted it said "cant find operating system. i went into the bios and the boot priority was changed. i changed it back to the way it needed to be and when it booted back up there was a flashing "-" symbol like normal, but this time it just stayed there. i turned off the system and took out the hardrives. i put them back the main 500gb hd that has the OS installed on it, while leaving the secondary 1000gb hd out of the system and i booted it up. IT WORKED! the system booted up windows and everything was still there. but then a window came up saying "you must restart your computer to apply these changes". i checked windows update history and it installed "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.123.1222.0)" like 30-60 minutes before. i restarted the computer (this time with the secondary hd plugged in and it still booted up. everything looks fine exept i cant press ctrl and select multiple files like i could before. i cant seem to find out what has happened to my computer, and i would like to know if any of you guys have any suggestions. another thing i should mention is that for about a month prior to this happening, when i boot up my sysem and it goes to my desktop, a command prompt opens up. it nothing appears on the cmd, and after about 10-15 seconds it goes away, and if you close it earlier, it opens back up.

sorry if its hard to follow, im new to forums :P

any suggestion will be appreciated. thanks! :)
Old April 6, 2012, 08:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your boot priority is changing from one hard drive to another, you need to look at your hardware rather than your software. It's not your operating system.

Check all of your HDD cabling, both data and power. Double check your bios for settings, check to see if there are any updates to it relating to boot priority. Best guess off the start is a loose Sata data cable.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old April 7, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree , what I would do is unplug al;l the drives that are not used to boot up then boot into your OS and see what happens if all is fine then shutdown and plug in the rest of your drives. My SSD did something similar it gave me some error ( way to fast to read) then rebooted my PC couldn't find the boot drive. in the end it ended up being my SSD died . I don't think that is your problem I think though that like Wilsos says most likely a Cable issue
Old April 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thanks it seems to be fine right now, im havent noticed a problem.
and it didnt change to a different hd it switched to the floppy drive even though i dont have one plugged in, but its probable the same thing.
thanks again!