Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Cost analysis of Vista Content Protection by Peter Gutman (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/529-cost-analysis-vista-content-protection-peter-gutman.html)

Babrbarossa March 9, 2007 06:59 AM

Cost analysis of Vista Content Protection by Peter Gutman

Peter Gutman writes a rather scathing review of the costs to the consumer of Content Protection in Vista. He goes into some depth on issues such as:

Disabling of Functionality
Decreased Playback Quality
Elimination of Open-source Hardware Support
Elimination of Unified Drivers
Problems with Drivers
Denial-of-Service via Driver/Device Revocation
Decreased System Reliability
Increased Hardware Costs
Increased Cost due to Requirement to License Unnecessary Third-party IP
Unnecessary CPU Resource Consumption
Unnecessary Device Resource Consumption

Read the article here

sswilson March 9, 2007 05:43 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Linux (or apple) is looking better and better every day.

Babrbarossa March 9, 2007 07:15 PM

I think it's only a matter of three years before Google has developed their own free user-friendly version of Linux (although it will be filled with adware no doubt)

SKYMTL March 9, 2007 08:39 PM

I keep hearing rumblings of coders working on Windows XP versions of DX10. I wonder how true that is but I did see a post (not on any LEGAL area) where one person posted the complete DX10 source code with confirmed validity. People seem to be working on it very hard and from some of the posts I am seeing, it IS possible to recode certain aspects of the DX10 source code so it works with XP.

Some people are predicting it could take up to 9 months though...and that comes from a GROUP of about 50 coders that are working together.

sswilson March 10, 2007 04:14 PM

I wonder if enough public outcry over the DRM would get it squashed?

Strange how a software company looks like they're going to manage to incorporate hardware drm after so many years of the public saying "no way!!!" to the hardware manufacturers.

Remember when the P4's were going to ship with a specific cpu identifier and how quickly that got $h1t-canned?

What worries me about this is that consumers are not going to have a choice to vote with their feet.

The choice is simply not there.....

If we could purchase big-box computers without an OS it might send a message to microsoft that we're not interested, but as it stands any person purchasing a pre-built computer is going to be getting Vista whether they want it or not.

Babrbarossa March 11, 2007 08:44 PM

Well- there are large branches of the US federal Gov't that are banning Vista- and switching to linux!!- retraining the staff fot it. That's gotta send a loud message.

enaberif March 11, 2007 08:56 PM

Heh and now MS has made it so key updates for the OS can't be unchecked, so even if you wanted to not download a specific one you are SOL.

Mars March 12, 2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 3279)
Heh and now MS has made it so key updates for the OS can't be unchecked, so even if you wanted to not download a specific one you are SOL.

Nobody forces anyone to run Windows Update to install anything. It's easy enough to run windows update to see which patches aren't applied, then to download the executable installers from the MS website.

Supergrover March 12, 2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 3291)
Nobody forces anyone to run Windows Update to install anything. It's easy enough to run windows update to see which patches aren't applied, then to download the executable installers from the MS website.

Yes I agree, but the majority of PC users have very limited experance and just use windows update.

enaberif March 12, 2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars (Post 3291)

And most of that is only allowed if you are using a valid key as it does a validation check.