Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2008, 08:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default format hard drive question

ok so I need to format my system drive that has windows installed on it....

what's the best way to do this without having to install windows on a separate drive and then formatting my old system drive as a slave drive.

my problem is that I'm selling my current system drive and replacing it with a new one... but I won't be able to get the new drive before I need to ship out my current drive to the buyer.
Intel i5 2500k stock, Corsair H70, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 mobo, 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1600, Sapphire 6870, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 1 x WD Black 1TB, 4 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB, Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Tower, Seasonic M12D 850w
Old March 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Unless you have partioned your drive when you installed the OS save everything you want on the none OS part of the partition, I think you are pouched.

When you Format you will get the entire drive. There is no way to only format the OS.

Best run out and find a cheap used drive to store your essential files on.

If you are in Halifax I have about 6 old HDs kicking around that I am sure I could part with one. Small but will do the job. They range from 2.5 gig to 20 gig. Yuo they are old and small but still work for rough data storage.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
MVP
F@H

Just download an app from the manufacturer of your HD and use it to wipe the HD else use a boot disk like UBCD or Hiren's BootCD.
Old March 24, 2008, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Assuming you have a Windows installation CD, you can just pop that in. And then when it prompts you to choose the HDD, you can just delete the current partition and format it.
Old March 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you have a floppy? There are lots of bootable floppy options for cleaning a disk.

Quote:
To erase the hard disk of a computer where Eraser cannot be installed onto:
You don't need to install Eraser onto the PC where you are going to erase.Take the following steps:
1. Connect to the Internet using your new PC and download and install Eraser.
2. Place a floppy (or CD) in the a: drive of your new PC.
3. Click on the Start button and then choose Programs->Eraser->Create Boot Nuke Disk.
4. Ensure 'Writing on Floppy' is ticked. Tick 'Formatting' if your floppy needs to be formatted.
5. Click OK. Result: Your Boot Nuke Disk has now been created.
6. Bring this Boot floppy to your old PC and place it in the a: drive. Now reboot the old PC.
Result: All drives will now be erased (including the Operating System)
IMPORTANT: USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION.
Eraser - secure data erase tool to scrub files on your hard drive - FREE

Last edited by Jack Rabbit; March 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: ooops... wrong button
Old March 26, 2008, 11:41 AM
Allstar

This eraser program doesn't look as if it does any data shredding, so why use it at all? I'm assuming that you have a windows installation CD. Just boot from that, and use it to delete the partitions if you don't need the data shredded.
Old March 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
This eraser program doesn't look as if it does any data shredding, so why use it at all? I'm assuming that you have a windows installation CD. Just boot from that, and use it to delete the partitions if you don't need the data shredded.
umm...

Quote:
Eraser is an advanced security tool (for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns.
emphasis added.

Eraser - Free secure data erase tool to wipe files on your hard drive