Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2012, 09:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Hmm I didn't notice the added drivers as the desktop I installed it on was so old even Windows 7 had all its drivers. I definitely agree on more mouse movement for Metro, even if you use some of the hotkeys available in the help menu (e.g. Windows Key + F4 instead of Alt + F4 to close Metro stuff?!?). It can't beat the Windows Key + <type in 3-6 letters of the program you want> + press enter to launch anything that's indexed that Vista and 7 gave.
Yeah, I don't understand why they separated Apps and Settings in the search. Absolutely stupid. Search (by default) should be EVERYTHING. Then it would function no different from Vista/7 and I'd be able to live with it.

Far too many hot keys though, it's like I need a cheat sheet printed out to keep at my PC. The main ones I find handy are:
Winkey+X quick access to key admin functions
Winkey+W to search settings
Winkey+Q to search apps
Winkey+F to search files
Winkey+C or Winkey+I (I is a bit of a stretch to get to with 1 hand) to get the charms up (rather than hovering in upper/bottom right corners) in order to shutdown/reboot. The hovering requires quite the precision with dual monitors and a high DPI mouse.

I see no need to close Metro Apps though. It's supposed to be able to manage on it's own, and well I have 12GB of RAM at my disposal so not like it matters.

Keyboard shortcuts are great and all, but for the general population it isn't. They'll be at a loss trying to use a mouse or a touchpad on a laptop to navigate Windows 8 efficiently. I guess we're going to see everything transition over to touchscreens next year? That seems to be what MS is betting on. It's the only way I can see that a "normal" person would be able to pickup and use Windows 8.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even if my notebook or desktop had a touchscreen I would not use it often. (related: yay for glossy shit that you are supposed to touch)
And I would still think that metro needs to be canned.
What was so bad about the Windows 7 UI?

I am getting sick of all this modern bullshit that is simply one or more steps backward because someone brainwashed the masses into wanting something retarded. -_-
Old March 4, 2012, 12:15 PM
Allstar

Just restore Windows 7 in my PC ( From WHS 2011, work flawless everything back like before) I will use Windows 8 only in VM, I have Metro Apps crashing , and Computer hanging , WHS 2011 BackUp not working and Windows 8 is not quite stable. But I have to admit, this new OS as potential, but the Metro should be an Addon not something forced
Old March 4, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Just restore Windows 7 in my PC ( From WHS 2011, work flawless everything back like before) I will use Windows 8 only in VM, I have Metro Apps crashing , and Computer hanging , WHS 2011 BackUp not working and Windows 8 is not quite stable. But I have to admit, this new OS as potential, but the Metro should be an Addon not something forced
Precisely. They took away our "classic" in Windows 7 so now the new "classic" is how Windows 7 looks. Give us the option of this "Windows 7 Classic" or "MetroSexual"
Old March 4, 2012, 12:42 PM
Allstar

With Windows 8 and Office 360, it's easy to see where M$ is heading, they want everything rents and host on their servers. Soon our PC will be like those Star Choice or Expressvu Box and will be used only to log on the M$ servers. With the Patriot Act, the US government will have right to look at our data , even on Canadians servers, since M$ head quarter are in US.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah, I don't understand why they separated Apps and Settings in the search. Absolutely stupid. Search (by default) should be EVERYTHING. Then it would function no different from Vista/7 and I'd be able to live with it.

Far too many hot keys though, it's like I need a cheat sheet printed out to keep at my PC. The main ones I find handy are:
Winkey+X quick access to key admin functions
Winkey+W to search settings
Winkey+Q to search apps
Winkey+F to search files
Winkey+C or Winkey+I (I is a bit of a stretch to get to with 1 hand) to get the charms up (rather than hovering in upper/bottom right corners) in order to shutdown/reboot. The hovering requires quite the precision with dual monitors and a high DPI mouse.

I see no need to close Metro Apps though. It's supposed to be able to manage on it's own, and well I have 12GB of RAM at my disposal so not like it matters.

Keyboard shortcuts are great and all, but for the general population it isn't. They'll be at a loss trying to use a mouse or a touchpad on a laptop to navigate Windows 8 efficiently. I guess we're going to see everything transition over to touchscreens next year? That seems to be what MS is betting on. It's the only way I can see that a "normal" person would be able to pickup and use Windows 8.
Yup this is a big bitch for me, IMO one of the things they got spot on with vista was/is the search; hit the windows key start typing, worked awesome. Now this

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 4, 2012, 01:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would like to thank all you people for testing some more M$ crap and helping me to miss another glitzy up date of an operating system. I missed vista and now I will miss win 8
Thanks again win7 is bad enough I don't need more headaches. We need a 3rd operating system and apple is not worth looking at. I am with Sky and friends stick with win 7
Old March 4, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgf View Post
We need a 3rd operating system and apple is not worth looking at. I am with Sky and friends stick with win 7
Well there's all of the flavours of Linux you can try assuming you don't do anything Windows only. My preferred non-Windows combination is Kubuntu (for general desktop) or Fedora (for open source dev work since they use many newer packages) using KDE4 as the window manager. There's also Lxde, Xfce, or no GUI at all for very limited rigs.

In my school work, everything I do is cross-platform so I could switch to Linux if Windows 8 remains stuck on the fence.

Back on topic, I put my Windows 8 BTX (Dell) tower back in the closet. I'll play with Win8 again when they get the next Office into a beta / trial so I can see if I can at all be productive with it. With the Metro mess I can't work with Windows 8 because my mousing hand will get more tired switching between the 4 apps I use than if I spent the same amount of time playing a RTS game... at least with RTS games you're not whipping your mouse to the corner and then dragging in various directions.
Old March 5, 2012, 02:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

No, tried it again and I just cant be productive with metro. I dont want my OS to be a RTS game with more macros than I can remember. I dont like fullscreen only apps unless its a game/video. I dont like the inflexibility of metro apps. I dont like lack of a start menu. Infact I have a hard time finding stuff I do like. AND this is coming from someone who LIKED Vista. So MS will not have a customer when it comes to 8, we'll see when 9 comes. But if 9 keeps going down this road I sure hope some Linix finds a way to take over where 7 left off.
Old March 5, 2012, 03:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Winkey, then Ctrl+Tab (or right click then click All Apps) brings you to somewhat of a Start Menu although with much larger icons.