Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2012, 03:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
not sure why people are complaining about little details....

I was perfectly happy not using the metro interface in windows 8; its just windows 7 with slightly different graphics.

but in all honesty, Windows 8 is a 'plumbing' version. It is being released because developers need a live platform to build applications on. As well, microsoft needs a tablet OS...

there are two modes for a reason; USE THE DESKTOP.

remember, if Vista never existed, then 7 would have been what vista is.
LITTLE THINGS? Have you tried to use the desktop mode? The shoehorning of metro onto us is the least efficient way of getting stuff down with a mouse and keyboard. They've tried to give us some keyboard shortcuts to get around this but....

For example, the start button. For the most part it may not be the most efficient way of getting to 90% of your programs but the search function is housed in there, my links to my computer and control panel are gone, a quick list of recently used apps is gone. Having to go to the metro interface to search is outrageous and increases how long it takes me to search for anything. The start menu also houses where the turn off computer button is. For some reason the only way i've found of doing this in 8 is to log out and then click the power icon.

Forcing us mouse/keyboard users to go to a touchscreen centric interface is crazier than forcing touchscreen users to use windows 7. I have yet to find a way to get anything done in 8 without having in some way to resort to the metro interface.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:08 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I was the first to give all the bad comments about it, but I use it for few hours in VM, and now it's on a real PC. When you get use to it, it's faster than 7 to find a program, no need to scroll the list. With a second monitor, in the extended desktop, the task bar icons are duplicates, so you can run software like office there and use the main screen for the metro apps, it's really cool. Task manager is well design. It's not something everyone will find easy to use at first, but when you take the time too learn the short key, it's not bad at all. But if they live it like this for the pro and enterprises editions, I don't see how they will sell it to them.
They can just stop selling Win7 licenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
For example, the start button. For the most part it may not be the most efficient way of getting to 90% of your programs but the search function is housed in there, my links to my computer and control panel are gone, a quick list of recently used apps is gone. Having to go to the metro interface to search is outrageous and increases how long it takes me to search for anything. The start menu also houses where the turn off computer button is. For some reason the only way i've found of doing this in 8 is to log out and then click the power icon.
Well, you can add links to stuff on the taskbar:

For frequently used apps, the idea as that you pin them to the start bar. I only started pinning tasks a few weeks ago in Win7 - it's much better if you knock the preview hover delay down to 0.

You can also get to the power button from hitting settings in the charms bar.

Last edited by Mars; March 2, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
They can just stop selling Win7 licenses.
I'm pretty sure they gone try. It's why I try to learn how to use it.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll go install it on an old computer instead of gaming over the weekend - it should be more entertaining than some games the way you're all describing it

EDIT: I just installed it. It has a bit of the feeling of GNOME3, although I think GNOME3 did their act of throwing the old GUI concepts out the window a lot better than this Metro thing did.

Last edited by frontier204; March 2, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Decided to install it to my desktop tonight...

Definitely more usable than with a VM, but still not sure about Metro. It requires more mouse movement than the classic start menu that we've all grown to love/hate. Could be partially due to my 2560x1440 resolution though.

One interesting point is that it only comes with .NET4.5 installed, .NET3.5 and below is now optional via Windows Features. A co-worker of mine today had mentioned that he thought .NET4.0 was the end of .NET, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Customer Preview includes Hyper-V as well as Storage Pools. Not sure if this will make it into all SKUs though. It lacks Network Teaming though like Server 8.

Native USB3 drivers are nice too, lessens the need to install drivers out-of-the-box.

It would seem that IE10 has some auto-correct functionality too, like if I'm typing and mix up letters, it'll fix it for me. Though it did freeze while attempting to post on Google+. And after posting this, HWC lost the majority of it's CSS. Clearly they have some work to do still.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
...because we're allowed to?
complaining about missing features in a beta is about as useful as complaining that your that your iphone case is false advertising because it had a picture of an iphone on the cover....
Old March 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Another oddity, the media keys on my Corsair K60 weren't working, but I joined Windows 8 to my domain (running on Server 2008 R2) and logged in with my Domain Admin account and now the media keys work?! Very strange.

Also Firefox/Minefield are a little glitchy GUI-wise when hardware acceleration is enabled. Chrome seems to be fine though.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:09 AM
Allstar

Looks like a Fischer-Price consultant had a hand in their new desktop. Except teh FP people are better at usability.
Old March 4, 2012, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Decided to install it to my desktop tonight...

Definitely more usable than with a VM, but still not sure about Metro. It requires more mouse movement than the classic start menu that we've all grown to love/hate. Could be partially due to my 2560x1440 resolution though.

Native USB3 drivers are nice too, lessens the need to install drivers out-of-the-box.
Hmm I didn't notice the added drivers as the desktop I installed it on was so old even Windows 7 had all its drivers. I definitely agree on more mouse movement for Metro, even if you use some of the hotkeys available in the help menu (e.g. Windows Key + F4 instead of Alt + F4 to close Metro stuff?!?). It can't beat the Windows Key + <type in 3-6 letters of the program you want> + press enter to launch anything that's indexed that Vista and 7 gave.

What I can't get about the Metro thing is why the "desktop" is considered as one "app" even if you happen to have multiple windows open in it. It breaks what ALT+TAB and even their new application switcher are designed to do. Is the "desktop" supposed to be a place to run "depricated" applications like Windows XP mode in 7 or the old DOS command prompt window in Windows 95/98/Me?
Also, where's the ribbon / Metro in Visual Studio 11
Old March 4, 2012, 08:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
complaining about missing features in a beta is about as useful as complaining that your that your iphone case is false advertising because it had a picture of an iphone on the cover....
Really? Complaining about missing features is what GETS them to fix it before the RTM build rolls around. If they handed out the Preview and no one voiced any complaints, why not just bug fix, ship it off and leave it at that?

Besides, this is the Consumer Preview. The ENTIRE PURPOSE of this release is for the general public to get first impressions of the new OS.

And if their first impression is shit (which it's turning out to be), then M$ has a problem.