Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best comment I have seen so far with regards to the metro interface.

Quote:
Calling the above ďuglyĒ isnít fair. Itís not ugly. Itís what happens when Ugly and Stupid get drunk and make a baby inside Fukushimaís minimum safety perimeter.
Quote came from here: Windows 8 wonít kill the desktop, but donít worry ó weíre still screwed | ExtremeTech

Old March 1, 2012, 02:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm not going to be installing Windows 8, but I WILL be installing Windows Server 8. Does that count?
Old March 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Installing 8 on a PC we're gonna be selling here shortly. Gonna make it a guinea pig for the time being, before XP goes back on. Just want to see how bad it is.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 1, 2012, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect

Anyone having issues with Drivers? I Installed the Consumer Preview and cannot get audio working no matter what.. It was working perfectly on the Developer Preview... not sure whats up =/
Old March 1, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would rather have ice cream sandwich on my desktop than windows 8.

The problem is Microsoft will probably make tons of money in the mobile/tablet market so we will continue to see this crap for years to come.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Installed it on the guinea pig PC, good ******* lord there is no chance I am touching that OS until they make it work properly, like a Windows computer we're used to. To me, all I see is an "upgraded" Windows Phone 7 slapped on that PC.

I will admit though, the new taskmanager is nice. That's the only thing I liked though.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old March 2, 2012, 12:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ok, I was on a ferry twice today for long periods of time so I bit the bullet and created a partition for it. MY GOD. Its even worse than I could have imagined. No desktop search, no desktop navigation. Both where housed in the start button. I'm deleting it and not looking back. One last thing I may do is look for a feedback button. Partition will be nuked ASAP now.

This may work well on a tablet, I"m not passing judgement on that. I am just damning the PC/Laptop experience and keeping it as far away from my PCs as I can from now on.

Edit: I will state that the copying box is much improved as is the task manager. The rest of the OS is garbage though. This is easily the worst Windows iteration I've touched.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:42 AM
Allstar

not sure why people are complaining about little details....

I was perfectly happy not using the metro interface in windows 8; its just windows 7 with slightly different graphics.

but in all honesty, Windows 8 is a 'plumbing' version. It is being released because developers need a live platform to build applications on. As well, microsoft needs a tablet OS...

there are two modes for a reason; USE THE DESKTOP.

remember, if Vista never existed, then 7 would have been what vista is.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
not sure why people are complaining about little details....
...because we're allowed to?
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old March 2, 2012, 04:36 AM
Allstar

I was the first to give all the bad comments about it, but I use it for few hours in VM, and now it's on a real PC. When you get use to it, it's faster than 7 to find a program, no need to scroll the list. With a second monitor, in the extended desktop, the task bar icons are duplicates, so you can run software like office there and use the main screen for the metro apps, it's really cool. Task manager is well design. It's not something everyone will find easy to use at first, but when you take the time too learn the short key, it's not bad at all. But if they live it like this for the pro and enterprises editions, I don't see how they will sell it to them.