Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
MVP

Do you guys use the start menu for clicking on stuff, or for searching?

I'm just wondering, because the start menu is not efficient for clicking around, I can see why they'd want to change that up.

The problem I suspect I'll have, is that I currently have the start menu on a secondary monitor, so if I want to open something, I hit the windows key and type it out - I don't even have to look over at the monitor to see the menu open. Covering my multiple monitors with the start screen any time I hit the windows key isn't going to be an improvement over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I agree Task Manager IS an improvement. Let me try a Pro/Enterprise preview instead of consumer and I'll really give you my opinion.
There's a preview of Windows Server available as well, also with no start menu.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Do you guys use the start menu for clicking on stuff, or for searching?

I'm just wondering, because the start menu is not efficient for clicking around, I can see why they'd want to change that up.

The problem I suspect I'll have, is that I currently have the start menu on a secondary monitor, so if I want to open something, I hit the windows key and type it out - I don't even have to look over at the monitor to see the menu open. Covering my multiple monitors with the start screen any time I hit the windows key isn't going to be an improvement over this.

There's a preview of Windows Server available as well, also with no start menu.
I use very few programs but the Start menu is something I use religiously on a day to day usage from finding programs to control panel etc etc.

And god why would you remove the start menu from a server OS?
Old March 1, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh and here is a little video from Microsoft on how they make the "tried and true brand new"

Get started with Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Sorry but no actual start menu without killing the desktop and having to scroll across the entire screen is a farce.

Old March 1, 2012, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah this is sounding worse and worse... wtf microsoft?
Old March 1, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

High DPI mice are gonna go for sale a lot more if we have to use corners for a OS
Old March 1, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh and their search sucks. So in the "start menu" I type in "user account" I look over and what is there nothing for search returns, why? Well because it is only showing the results for apps, I have to move down and click on settings to see the results under settings and then I can see it, oh but did I mention that on the machine I have it installed on the side bar where you type is partly covering up the results. I would take a screen shot but it appears like I can't take a screen shot of the search results with the snipping tool because if I even alt-tab back to it, it just shows the snipit and the desktop completely hiding my results.

Ok here are the screens:

Last edited by ipaine; March 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Oh and their search sucks. So in the "start menu" I type in "user account" I look over and what is there nothing for search returns, why? Well because it is only showing the results for apps, I have to move down and click on settings to see the results under settings and then I can see it, oh but did I mention that on the machine I have it installed on the side bar where you type is partly covering up the results. I would take a screen shot but it appears like I can't take a screen shot of the search results with the snipping tool because if I even alt-tab back to it, it just shows the snipit and the desktop completely hiding my results.

Ok here are the screens:

Yes... this is the most annoying thing EVER. In windows 7, I just type what I need and press enter right away without seeing what's selected. 90% of the time it gives me what I want. Now..... oh god...
Old March 1, 2012, 10:51 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Yes... this is the most annoying thing EVER. In windows 7, I just type what I need and press enter right away without seeing what's selected. 90% of the time it gives me what I want. Now..... oh god...
I went looking for a way to disable contextual searching, didn't see anything, but I did find an MS blog post explaining some of their design decisions: Designing search for the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Old March 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

I'm installing Windows 8 on a PC in Hardware Canucks' labs tonight. Check back for our review/first impressions next week.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old March 1, 2012, 11:25 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I put it on a spare work computer here this morning. This looks to be another case of having to go through a few web tutorials first so I don't get frustrated. Just like the ribbon bar when office 2007 came out. I cursed it for months and then I was asked to put together some training. I found a 15 minute tutorial online that I should have watched before I ever started using it.