Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2012, 05:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Watched a few videos and reviews...

I had windows XP from 2002 all way into 2010... Then I upgraded all my stuff to Win7. I hope to make Win 7 last another couple years before considering upgrading it.

I see too much "Windows ME" in that Windows 8 style.
Old March 1, 2012, 05:34 AM
MVP

As far as I can tell, the major problem is how you're forced to the new start screen any time you want to launch an app that isn't on the task bar - this is fixed rather easily by a third party application launcher. I had the same problem when I started using Mac OS, and am now quite happy using Quicksilver to launch apps; I'm assuming there must be a Windows equivalent available.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
As far as I can tell, the major problem is how you're forced to the new start screen any time you want to launch an app that isn't on the task bar - this is fixed rather easily by a third party application launcher. I had the same problem when I started using Mac OS, and am now quite happy using Quicksilver to launch apps; I'm assuming there must be a Windows equivalent available.
The thing is that if they think this will be a successful consumer desktop they are sadly mistaken. They thought there was backlash from Vista? Oi.

You shouldn't need to install aftermarket software for the most part or pay a premium for a "upgraded" OS like Pro or Enterprise to get what you want.

There was enough changes going from XP to Vista in the UI to warrant frustration from new users to veteran users and the switch in Windows 8 will create the same frustration.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:40 AM
MVP

Well, I haven't actually used Win8 - but yes, the forced metro start screen looks like it could be a problem for mass adoption.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think I might give it a try on the spare system I have although I am already not a fan of the Metro Interface.

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Old March 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so I have put this on an older hp tablet I had sitting around.

First impressions: Complete and utter crap

Seriously, what a joke this stupid metro is. Ok, so right off of the bat the calibration for the pen on this thing was way off, so what would I do in the past? I would go to control panel and get the pen/touch support options and calibrate it. And yes you do the same thing here, except one little issue, I couldn't find how to get to the control panel. Nothing in the Metro UI, so I go to the desktop, well there is nothing there either. Since there is no start menu I can't even find a run command to get to it that way. So how did I do it? I right clicked and went to personalize. In there was a like to control panel home. What a farce, I know at an IT meeting a couple months ago I stood up and said there is no way we will have this on our machines, of course some will because of people buying new notebooks and such, but unless the enterprise edition is drastically different and tosses metro where it belongs (the garbage), I just don't see how I could ever give this to one of our users.

I'll post more as I look around it, but I know one thing, I will not be changing personally. I will stay with win 7.

Oh there is one thing I do lilke about win8, that is the task manager, it is better than what we have in win7 and better laid out.

Old March 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
....., I couldn't find how to get to the control panel. .
They are 2 Control panels , in the desktop. If you bring the mouse on the right edge, a menu will open, then you choose setting, and then on the top you have the classic Control Panel and at bottom if you click the More PC Settings, it will bring you to the new Control Panel.

Yes, the Task Manager is a great improvement
Old March 1, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
They are 2 Control panels , in the desktop. If you bring the mouse on the right edge, a menu will open, then you choose setting, and then on the top you have the classic Control Panel and at bottom if you click the More PC Settings, it will bring you to the new Control Panel.

Yes, the Task Manager is a great improvement
I agree Task Manager IS an improvement. Let me try a Pro/Enterprise preview instead of consumer and I'll really give you my opinion.
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, I found it.

Oh and can someone tell me what the devices option is for? I mean the one that comes up when you move to a right had corner. If I go to it from the start menu (haha what a joke that is not a start menu, I mean metro) it just tells me that "start can not send to any devices" Considering it is right above the settings option I would have assumed it was something like the devices and printers option in 7, but I was wrong.

Ok, played with it a little more and yes this could be used as a touch based OS, but it is not a usable desktop/notebook OS. The metro UI and the no actual start menu, is just terrible.

So I noticed that when I go to the right hand side it has to be one of the corners for the menu to show. And if you pick settings from there, the options it shows you are based off of what app you have open at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I agree Task Manager IS an improvement. Let me try a Pro/Enterprise preview instead of consumer and I'll really give you my opinion.
That is something I agree with. The thing that really worries me is that Microsoft are insisting that Metro is perfectly fine for keyboard and mouse. Really all it would take is a option when installing asking if you are putting it on a touch based machine or not. If it is then metro, if not then actual desktop with actual start menu.

Hall Of Fame

Did anyone choose not the Express Setup at the beginning and see how many frigging choices you have to turn "crap" off?