Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Some bitter sounding people in here.. I think installing into a VM will be the wise choice for now.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
Allstar

How do you close a F%$ metro apps , aside of crtl + alt + del
Old February 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
How do you close a F%$ metro apps , aside of crtl + alt + del
From The Verge:
"Mouse users can right click to access app commands and drag apps to the lower edge to close them. Keyboard users can use Windows logo + Z to open the app bar."

MS mentioned something about memory management and not needing close apps in their presentation, IIRC... I pretty much don't close programs in Win7 anyway, so that's probably where I'll be going.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
From The Verge:
"Mouse users can right click to access app commands and drag apps to the lower edge to close them. Keyboard users can use Windows logo + Z to open the app bar."

MS mentioned something about memory management and not needing close apps in their presentation, IIRC... I pretty much don't close programs in Win7 anyway, so that's probably where I'll be going.
Treating Windows far to much like Apple OS.

Why the **** do I want to drag something down to close? oi.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Treating Windows far to much like Apple OS.

Why the **** do I want to drag something down to close? oi.
Well, I'm really not sure manual management of tasks will be as necessary as in the past.

Here's a blurb with some links explaining how Windows 8 handles background apps: Windows 8–Why you don’t close a Metro Style application.

Key point: Windows 8 will automatically close suspended apps if it needs the memory.

And to be real fair, all the dragging to close gestures are ripped off of WebOS.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Well, I'm really not sure manual management of tasks will be as necessary as in the past.

Here's a blurb with some links explaining how Windows 8 handles background apps: Windows 8–Why you don’t close a Metro Style application.

Key point: Windows 8 will automatically close suspended apps if it needs the memory.

And to be real fair, all the dragging to close gestures are ripped off of WebOS.
So essentially its doing what Android OS does so the OS itself is more flexible with Mobile OS
Old February 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Some bitter sounding people in here.. I think installing into a VM will be the wise choice for now.
I would never install any pre-release OS as a non-virtual OS on any computer I was using for stuff.

Quote:
So essentially its doing what Android OS does so the OS itself is more flexible with Mobile OS
Well, iOS and WP7 both use tombstoning with support for certain background actions... I'm assuming Win8 borrows some from WP7 (and WP8 will borrow from what we're seeing of Win8). I've got less experience with Android on a technical level, so I'm not as familiar with how it does background tasks.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well color me depressed. I was one of the people who installed Windows 7 when it came out in beta and never looked back. This.... this looks rubbish for my uses. The start button is still there only its invisible and brings up the metro interface. I do not want the metro interface on my laptop or desktop. I dont need full screen apps on my main devices. It sounds like I'm not alone, I'll VM it but I dont think I'm going to go to any effort to clean a harddrive for it. Come on Windows 9.

I'll have a look at the tablets come christmas though, like the idea of having 1 OS basically across all my devices... or at least the flexibility that it gives on tablets anyways. Will stay away from ARM I like my legacy apps.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Well color me depressed. I was one of the people who installed Windows 7 when it came out in beta and never looked back. This.... this looks rubbish for my uses. The start button is still there only its invisible and brings up the metro interface. I do not want the metro interface on my laptop or desktop. I dont need full screen apps on my main devices. It sounds like I'm not alone, I'll VM it but I dont think I'm going to go to any effort to clean a harddrive for it. Come on Windows 9.

I'll have a look at the tablets come christmas though, like the idea of having 1 OS basically across all my devices... or at least the flexibility that it gives on tablets anyways. Will stay away from ARM I like my legacy apps.
I'll wait for full release but right now I just installed 8 into a VM and what a mess!
Old March 1, 2012, 04:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I honestly don't see how they expect all the "traditional" computer users to be able to use Windows 8. It simply lacks any and all productivity. Everything takes so many clicks, drags, or touches just to get what you want. It's definitely much more complicated than ever.

Unless the Enterprise edition totally removes Metro, I can't see any business EVER adopting this. There's simply no reason to.

Windows 8 seems more like "Windows 7 for Tablets" IMO. I'm guessing we might see it on Intel's Medfield-phone platform too? I'd say Windows Phone 7 is on the way out once Windows 8 launches. Doesn't seem to be any need to have 2 mobile OS platforms, similar to what Apple wants to do with iOS and OSX - to converge them into 1.