Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2012, 11:06 PM
MVP

You can hit enter instead of sliding to unlock.

I assume it's possible to automatically login, isn't a password default in Windows since several versions now?
Old March 8, 2012, 12:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks that is better, but doing anything to get by it seems pointless as it serves no purpose on a desktop.

Nope I've never used a password on my desktop only laptops and other portable things.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:36 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
. I'm sure there are ways to get rid of these things though especially the "Slide to unlock" that feels ridiculous.
That's fell like a phone
Old March 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I am currently using the consumer preview. I like some things but I dislike a lot of things but hopefully after a week or so I will get used to them. If not then I suppose I won't like Windows 8. I don't like how it feels like it is designed to be used with touchscreen devices which I suppose it is.

Most annoying things for me at the moment are 1. Having to "Slide to unlock" to get to the login page when windows boots up. 2. Having to log in to my email to get into windows.. I don't normally use a password on my desktop. I'm sure there are ways to get rid of these things though especially the "Slide to unlock" that feels ridiculous.
1. Crtl+Alt+Delete - just like you would logging into a domain computer. It's basically just a prettier version of the boring "Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Login".

2. You didn't have to login with your Microsoft ID, there's the option to create an offline account as well. Though obviously the Store and some apps won't work without it. I think it always needs a password though, not sure.
Old March 8, 2012, 06:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks JD, appreciate it but ctrl+alt+del doesn't work in this case I presume because I made a online account (thinking it was my only choice) so I need to enter a password to get in. Really my main issues are just the drag to unlock and being forced to enter a password to get to desktop. And the missing start button but thanks to your link it that is sorted. Thanks for that by the way.

..Maybe I'm just a dinosaur!
Old March 8, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
2. You didn't have to login with your Microsoft ID, there's the option to create an offline account as well. Though obviously the Store and some apps won't work without it. I think it always needs a password though, not sure.
Waitwaitwait
What exactly happens with an online account? I presume that they do not lock you out if you do not have an active internet connection but just how much does it call home and tell MS what you are up to?
Can you switch an account between online and offline?

imo there should be no such thing as an online account. THIS IS YOUR LOCAL PERSONAL COMPUTER! Not a terminal. It should only use the internet when the user tells it to!

Screw you Microsoft.
Screw you Apple.

Stop horribly maiming my computing environment and experience with this miserable bull shit.
Old March 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
What exactly happens with an online account?
Saves your settings and such. Integrates your contacts into the appropriate applications.

Basically the same as how accounts for ios/android/wp7 work.

I don't see much of a problem if it's optional.
Old March 8, 2012, 10:33 AM
Allstar

Optional... it asks your email address at install and I don't notice other option when you install, after yes.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks JD, appreciate it but ctrl+alt+del doesn't work in this case I presume because I made a online account (thinking it was my only choice) so I need to enter a password to get in. Really my main issues are just the drag to unlock and being forced to enter a password to get to desktop. And the missing start button but thanks to your link it that is sorted. Thanks for that by the way.

..Maybe I'm just a dinosaur!
Really? It should at least bring you to the password prompt. Maybe it's because mines joined to my domain, though I have group policies to bypass the ctrl-alt-delete screen.

Does "control userpasswords2" work in Windows 8 from the run prompt?
Old March 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I case no one has posted this, to skip the password logon:

"Start Windows 8 and log in to your account
Now you will be taken to the MetroUI start screen. Hit "WIN + R" or goto search from the new Start Menu. Type "netplwiz" in the search bar and hit Enter to open User Accounts screen.
Now you should uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box and click the OK button
Now you will get a prompt where you have to enter the password for the user name. Enter the password and password confirmation.
Windows 8 will save this password and you need not enter the password any more during login. So the next time your system starts or reboots, you will be directly logged into the system without any need to enter the password."

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread