Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2012, 06:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ordering "Windows to Go": how to create a bootable Windows 8 USB thumb drive

Well this would be kind of nice. Booting Win8 directly off a USB drive. I only remember seeing hacked up versions of this for XP.
Old March 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just installed WIN8 Consumers Preview a couple of days ago (I had the Delveloper Preview earlier), on my Vaio lappy. It boots up real fast, but surfing is noticeably slower. I'll try to monitor it to see if it improves before I decide to dump my Vista.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:25 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Well this would be kind of nice. Booting Win8 directly off a USB drive. I only remember seeing hacked up versions of this for XP.
will be kind of slow.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
will be kind of slow.
Not really. Obviously slower than a regular install, but it'd still be usable. Most stuff will probably get cached in ram anyways.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Booting Win8 directly off a USB drive. I only remember seeing hacked up versions of this for XP.
Oh cmon! I have a Win 7 boot USB drive! If the install is done on a SSD, it takes 20 mins from the black screen (decompressing files) to actual system being able to navigate.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:54 PM
Allstar

Install Win 8? I haven't even installed 7 on a personal machine. :)
Old March 7, 2012, 05:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I did install it and besides the Metro UI, I like it. I strongly believe we should be able to disable Metro. It's totally inefficient for multitasking. The apps all lacks decent settings. It is poorly designed for multi-monitor setups.

And the ribbon kinda is inefficient in Windows Explorer. It slows a lot of actions.
Old March 7, 2012, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Just installed WIN8 Consumers Preview a couple of days ago (I had the Delveloper Preview earlier), on my Vaio lappy. It boots up real fast, but surfing is noticeably slower. I'll try to monitor it to see if it improves before I decide to dump my Vista.

Wait... what?

You might be skipping W7 for W8? You've stuck with Vista for THIS long so far? Strange upgrade cycle you have. Poor fellah.
Old March 7, 2012, 07:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This helps somewhat: Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu
Old March 7, 2012, 10:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am currently using the consumer preview. I like some things but I dislike a lot of things but hopefully after a week or so I will get used to them. If not then I suppose I won't like Windows 8. I don't like how it feels like it is designed to be used with touchscreen devices which I suppose it is.

Most annoying things for me at the moment are 1. Having to "Slide to unlock" to get to the login page when windows boots up. 2. Having to log in to my email to get into windows.. I don't normally use a password on my desktop. I'm sure there are ways to get rid of these things though especially the "Slide to unlock" that feels ridiculous.