Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do I repeat myself when I say that video games, computers, cell phones, well anything electronic or IT except maybe a desk lamp is being "dumbed-down" to casual consumer?

Stop lowering technology and teach users how to use the items. In a few years, people who were born in technology will become the majority and that day the world will only be able to say: "Shit from 2012 just got real!".

My two cents.

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old February 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
I'm not paying for it anyways unless it really is revolutionarily better, otherwise I'll do my normal skip a gen and buy 9 or whatever they call it.
I'll third that and say that windows 8 will be to Windows 7 what Vista was to XP.

and Mayoo, it is a fine line between being 'dumbed down' or streamlined. I'm all for streamlining the user interface where the most used day to day functions are out there and the least used stuff is hidden. Where the application is uncluttered by a zillion icons and menu's so you can't find anything.
Old February 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

There was a start button in the dev preview which was released last year and it could be enabled to work properly. This is from the beta which is coming up this month so i hope one can still enable it but ...

Microsoft has come out and said that they intend for people to use metro on the desktop as well which just blows my mind and worries me more than anything else.

Metro, at least in the dev preview for me was unusable with a m/k. But at this point in time it does look like I will be skipping as well, Windows 7 is solid, Metro is good for a tablet and I may consider one but my desktop and laptop are staying on 7 unless something massive changes.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Metro, at least in the dev preview for me was unusable with a m/k. But at this point in time it does look like I will be skipping as well, Windows 7 is solid, Metro is good for a tablet and I may consider one but my desktop and laptop are staying on 7 unless something massive changes.
I am also in that ship. I just find that entire metro UI to be way to clunky for anything other than maybe a small table or phone. Frankly I don't even like the tiles on those and just find that it feels like everything is just in my face. I guess I am just old fashioned that way, I don't want everything on my desktop, I like it all organized and if I want to see my email, or facebook messages or twitter, (not that I really ever use those last two) I can just go open the app needed for it. I just don't need it all shoved in my face, does everyone else need all that info each second now? Maybe it is just because I like to think my life does not revolve around all those social media apps that everyone else seems to love so much.