Old January 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows Updates = An Excercise in Frustration

Built a new system for a relative over the weekend:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 mobo
8GB Patriot G2 Series DDR3 memory
Radeon HD3870 (they aren't really into gaming)
500GB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Antec 500W Earthwatts psu
LG DVD R/W
Antec Sonata III case
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium w/SP1 OEM

Everything is new except for vid card which was an old one of mine I threw in for free to save them a bit of chump change. Computer shop mounted the CPU & RAM and ensured mobo had the latest BIOS. They offered to do it so no problem there. I installed the rest. Machine booted, installed Windows, and then installed mobo drivers. Everything went fine until it was time to get Windows Updates loaded. The initial total number of updates were approx. 90 + 8 optional. Started the download/install process and by the time all was said and done there were numerous BSODs, update failure messages, and configuration error/reverting changes messages. Overall, I would say only half the updates were successful. I tried clean installs three times, with and without the video card installed (thinking it might be a problem) with the same results, although not the same updates fail each time. After a full 24 hour period of futile troubleshooting the computer still runs, loads into Windows fine, and as long as a new update (there are still 8 important still pending) is not installed no crashes occur. I suggested to the relative to use the PC at their home over the next few days as they normally would (email, web, documents) and see if any crashes occur. If so, then bring the computer to the shop and perhaps they'll have a "God disc" to get all the updates correctly installed. Otherwise perhaps the updates will "fix themselves" over time. I've never seen these many failures before. I just finished a clean install on work colleagues laptop last weekend which went fine. I also bought myself a new laptop last week and did a fresh Windows install and zero update problems as well. I've built a lot of desktop systems as well and have never seen this.

Googling and researching error messages about these update failures seems to be related to either drivers or hardware so it could be anything. I personally have never used Gigabyte or Patriot products before so am not sure if it's unreliable hardware. Ironically I spoke to another work colleague today and he said he spent the weekend upgrading his older XP machine to Win7 and experienced similar problems when it came to obtaining the updates and hotfixes.

Thoughts or similar experiences with any of you HWC'ers?

TIA for reading and possibly responding.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB

Last edited by Signal2Noise; January 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 30, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A basic rule of thumb that I go by when it comes to updating windows is to install the " critical updates" only then reboot and go from there.
SO what I would do is boot into safe mode and then remove all updates , reboot and see what happens if everything is ok then add a few critical updates, just keep doing and rebooting. SOmetimes it is also the order in which the updates install which can effect that OS. this is one of the things I really don't like about MS OS's .
Old January 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I reformatted one of my rigs a couple of weeks ago and the software fought me all the way. It was mostly mobo & hardware driver updates that did not want to co-operate so it took MUCH longer than usual. Time to start wearing a tinfoil hat when I do it again methinks. A bottle of rum beside me will be helpful also.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
...A bottle of rum beside me will be helpful also.
This I like. After I handed over the PC to inlaw I poured myself a healthy single malt scotch.

Thanks for the replies.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I find it's best to keep the major updates and service packs slipstreamed onto your install ISO. A lot less headaches if you need to install/reformat for others from time to time.
Old January 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

To many people use Windows update and allow it to install updated drivers for hardware; bad idea!
Old January 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, I've had on two separate machines the NICs stop working because windows wanted to install new drivers for them. Anything that's optional, aka hardware related has to go through me before it's considered part of the update. On my own machine microsoft is only allowed to tell me that there are updates, i still go through and pick what I want downloaded/installed.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I always download the latest motherboard drivers/gpu drivers from the manufacturer website and install them before even touching windows update. Then I do the critical updates and always skim through the optional ones and hide cancel/hide the ones i dont want. ie: internet explorer (i don't use ie).
Old January 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ftr, I don't do the optional updates when it involves hardware drivers. Like most of you commented already I go to the original manufacturer sites for the latest drivers. The updates in question that caused the grief were indicated as either 'Critical' or 'Important'.
Surface Pro 128GB