Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2012, 07:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 black screen after login

Windows 7 installed an update last night and ever since my pc will just load into a black screen with mouse cursor after login, no key presses work and CTRL-ALT-DEL does not load anything I can see. I believe that explorer.exe is not loading but have no way to verify. I have tried a system restore but this did not work. What other options do I have?
Old January 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried safemode?
Old January 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes I am typing this in safemode so that works.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run an anti virus scan, and uninstall video drivers and try booting back in to windows to see if it'll pick up generic windows drivers.
Old February 1, 2012, 08:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

safe mode and So I fixed the black screen by booting into safe mode and reverting back to a previous version of windows using a system restore. However I am still having issues with the pc not booting correctly after trying to install update K2585542, the pc restarts then on bootup it just hangs after the login screen and says configuring updates, but it never loads any further than this. It would seem that other users are having the same issues. Patch Tuesday January 2012: 7 Updates Correcting 8 Issues
Old February 19, 2012, 12:40 AM
Rookie

You can try to click microsoft key in your keyboard to see if the start menu will show.
Old February 19, 2012, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

boot in safe mode with networking so can download intel inf app to get current drivers for MB. other mite be card or slot failure

also if added a second moniter to system and old desktop is secondary and added moniter is primary