Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I think that it is funny Google hasn't or isn't really Adding anything at all, it h has always been like that it is just that now they are actually telling you instead of hiding it all in the huge amount of small print if you watch that video clip I posted earlier it even basically says that instead of having all of the policies that are linked to them or the own policies they made it easier for everyone to find this out in one place. that is why I have always tried my best not to use anything like Google at all I learned my lesson from Facebook and reading the fine print. Like sswilson says I have nothing to hide but I don't like the idea of any company ,Google or otherwise, selling my web surfing info to any advertising companies.
they way it is going I can see that in the near future people will be in a mall constantly being bothered because of the cellphone posting adds and beeping away. that is the kind of thing they most likely will be doing with your surfing information , never mind big brother or companies snooping into any personal info while you are applying for work.
You're missing the main point.... the big change is that in the past when I agreed to the Gmail privacy policy, they didn't automatically have the right to use my info in another application. I purposely did not use Google Chrome because I didn't want to agree to it's privacy policies. The new policy has users agreeing to allow all of their apps to use my information whether I use it or not.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 3, 2012, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So.... as it stands I've attempted to remove every possible google account/app other than gmail, and have started using a pop client to get my email so that I never have to actually log into google (and then forget to log out) unless I want to check my mail on the road. I've also switched my default search and home page to duckduckgo, but that's a work in progress and doubt it'll stay as my homepage. (just had to move it off of google).

For those out there who still see these kinds of moves as "tin hat worthy".... again... I say that I have absolutely nothing to hide, but if corps want my info, they damn well have to pay me for it. Saying that I can opt out of features by not enabling certain apps/logins is deceitful as things like youtube use your gmail login account as default if you forget to logout after checking your mail.

As it stands... I get to use my gmail account without ever having to actually sign into my account and thus shouldn't have anything other than ads targetted to the text of my emails.

Anybody else currently donning a tin foil hat and dumping their google services?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 3, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I surrendered to Google's info gathering when I bought an Android tablet, but I'd like to rid myself gMail not for its info gathering but because they have no obligation to keep my e-mail up and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Terms of Service
4.3 As part of this continuing innovation, you acknowledge and agree that Google may stop (permanently or temporarily) providing the Services (or any features within the Services) to you or to users generally at Google’s sole discretion, without prior notice to you.
I went through a search for a new e-mail provider shortly after the beginning of last year when Hotmail took a dump and deleted users' e-mail, but have been unsuccessful in a search for a gMail replacement:
  • I considered switching to Yahoo paid, but they didn't use HTTPS in the viewing part of their web interface. Another issue is their use of only POP which is annoying over multiple devices (can't manage folders between devices). EDIT 3: It looks like Yahoo changed their agreement, that in fact you do get downgraded rather than pursued if you stop paying. (7.3 in their TOS for YMP)
  • Although Rogers uses Yahoo mail services, their POP3 does not use SSL. I'm not sure if it uses TLS, but I doubt it. I think running around w/o encryption if you use smartphones or tablets for your e-mail is worse than Google
  • One option I still have open is Windows Live Mail Plus, which seems to use encryption in the right places and gives me the ability to back up (although with great inconvenience to restore) through their Windows application integration.

For now I just use gMail with Thunderbird+my weekly HDD backups to make sure my e-mails don't just disappear one day. I use my school e-mail for academic stuff, knowing that at if a professor can't e-mail me he or she can't use their own computing account anyway

Last edited by frontier204; February 4, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: OOO so THAT's how you put a URL into the quote thingie / clarification on Rogers POP3
Old February 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Anybody else currently donning a tin foil hat and dumping their google services?
I haven't dumped Google services, but I've quarantined them to Chrome, with an adblocker and the "Minimalist for everything" extension, and don't use Chrome for anything other than Google services.