Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
Top Prospect

Default Program stopped working problem

Lately, I've been having a lot of my programs comming up with "program stopped working" error.
Is this s aproblem with the programms , Operating system or what ? I have the programmes and my OS on a
OCZ SSD.
Thanks.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run chkdsk <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors> as a first step (same process for Vista and 7). You'll also want to check for malware, viruses, and anything that's hogging CPU or RAM.
Other than that, we'll need to know more about the errors (full description / screenshots). See if the error messages happen at after a certain action or if you get error messages that blame certain DLLs.

I know I had buggy printer drivers that crashed with that "stopped working" error every time the printer finished a print job.
Old January 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Run chkdsk <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors> as a first step (same process for Vista and 7). You'll also want to check for malware, viruses, and anything that's hogging CPU or RAM.
Other than that, we'll need to know more about the errors (full description / screenshots). See if the error messages happen at after a certain action or if you get error messages that blame certain DLLs.

I know I had buggy printer drivers that crashed with that "stopped working" error every time the printer finished a print job.
Thanks for your comment. I have a very reliable anti spyware programme - Kaspersky Internet Security and all scanned are ok. I find the "Stopped working" error not localized to any type of program. My browsers ( IE9 and Chrome), Microsoft Office. Its just random. I also find that sometimes it will occur when I try to save or download a file. I have not been doing any printing. I also noticed that sometimes at boot or after I've left the system unattended for a while and the monitor wakes up from sleep, the boot drive is not recognized anymore. If I reboot, the boot drive order has changed. Other times it hangs at recognizing the boot drive.

I have replaced the drive (OCZ SSD) with another drive to eliminate a drive problem. I will run this for a day or two and report back.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

Default Program stopped working - SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
Thanks for your comment. I have a very reliable anti spyware programme - Kaspersky Internet Security and all scanned are ok. I find the "Stopped working" error not localized to any type of program. My browsers ( IE9 and Chrome), Microsoft Office. Its just random. I also find that sometimes it will occur when I try to save or download a file. I have not been doing any printing. I also noticed that sometimes at boot or after I've left the system unattended for a while and the monitor wakes up from sleep, the boot drive is not recognized anymore. If I reboot, the boot drive order has changed. Other times it hangs at recognizing the boot drive.

I have replaced the drive (OCZ SSD) with another drive to eliminate a drive problem. I will run this for a day or two and report back.
I have not had a repeat of the problem since yesterday - well, since replacing the drive. I am still not sure why the drive could cause this type of problem. Its an SSD - OCZ Vertex 3. Is there a way to check this drive and perhaps use it again ? Thanks.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
I have not had a repeat of the problem since yesterday - well, since replacing the drive. I am still not sure why the drive could cause this type of problem. Its an SSD - OCZ Vertex 3. Is there a way to check this drive and perhaps use it again ? Thanks.
Somewhere along the way you might have got some corrupt program or data files from a crash, etc...
Old January 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Somewhere along the way you might have got some corrupt program or data files from a crash, etc...
The drive has stopped working totally. Windows will not recognize the drive and have started the RMA process to have it returned to OCZ.