Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Moving my music folder & keeping iTunes updated

Hi guys,

I just purchased an internal 3TB drive to be used as media storage. Previously, all of my non-iTunes music were kept on an external drive and I simply told iTunes to add those folders to the library. Now that I have the new internal drive, I want to move everything off of the external and onto that new drive. However, is there anyway of letting iTunes know that those folders have changed location without having to reload everything onto my iPod?

I know iTunes has the option of changing its Media Folder location, but that's not where the majority of my music is located. And my concern is that once I move everything onto the new drive, iTunes will think that either 1) the mp3s are gone and thus delete them from my library & iPod, or 2) that its on a new computer and thus will force me to reupload everything to my iPod (not an appealing thought as I have over 110GB of music).

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock
Old January 19, 2012, 09:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

go in itunes , file, add folder to library,select new music folder, boom it's in there.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:40 AM

My System Specs

iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Media folder
Old January 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I haven't had much luck moving iTunes music around and actually having it work properly, even following Apple's instructions on it. iTunes seems deliberately obstinate about it.
I'm actually looking for a replacement. The reason I used to keep iTunes around was that it handled large libraries well, but now it seems to trip over mine.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If it is doable for you, you can copy your music on the new drive and simply change the drive letter to what the old one was.You need to keep the folder structure too. I once did that to replace a drive with a bigger one.