Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Wow, thanks JD for the reply. So it sound like if the computer I end up purchasing is using slic activation, my idea isn't going to work. Well....................
I don't know what to say. Its sounding like I'm either going to have to contact Microsoft and the manufacturer of the laptop I purchase and work it out with them. Because I'm doing this for a customer in a sense, Its all got to be legal so I'll just have to go through the chain of command and straiten the whole matter out. But because of this, I think I'll end up staying away from prebuilt systems and build my own. This is the reason for the question. I was deciding between building up a barebone system from msi, or purchasing a prebuilt system and upgrading it. Upgrading is sounding like a headache and a bottle of Jack Daniels, and building I have just never done with a laptop before so I'm a little nervous. But God knows I'll never get a reply back from Microsoft in time if at all, so It looks like a custom build after all.
unless someone can think of a way of copying the hard drive that comes with the system and then just taking that mirror copy and putting it on the ssd that I want in the machine. Anyone?
Thank for the help and sorry for my long posts
Old January 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well custom building a laptop is rather tricky I'd say.

Sounds like you want to reinstall due to switching out the HDD with a SSD? If that's the case, you can easily mirror the HDD to the SSD as HDD/SSD manufacturers provide software to do it and you can easily find free software online too such as CloneZilla. Granted, a clean install is the more ideal approach though to get rid of all that pre-installed junk.

Personally, I don't consider finding/using the certificate illegal, but like I said, it's a fine line. As long as you aren't using it on another computer which it was never intended to be upon, I'd say it's legal. That being said, the certificates were ever intended to be in the "public domain" as you cannot find them on MS's website. That's what makes it "illegal".
Old January 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

this makes sense. Though all I'm doing a reinstallation on the same system, their is some reason why microsoft is doing this whole "thing in the bios" to ......I don't know its all so over my head. Yes, all I want to do is either reinstall which of course is always better to start fresh, or mirror the hdd to my new ssd. My intentions with all this is of course legal and all that, just the way I have to do everything like jd said is not legal. If I were to mirror the hdd, It sound's like all I need to do is plug both the old drive and the ssd into a desktop and run one of those mirror programs right? would that bypass the whole finding the registry file or what ever it is?
Old January 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

whats wrong with restore to factory settings with brand name laptop?
Old January 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ive had no issue with using my Win 7 x64 Premium key with a copy of windows i downloaded via BT after my old laptop optical drive ate it.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm not sure what you are referring to as factory settings. Settings of what? Though I thing I know what you were referring to. When I said its always better to do a reinstall I mean to wipe out the old os installation and put a fresh install in. This gets rid of any trial software junk, profile preferences set within windows that don't fit your needs, and such things like that. Prebuilt systems are loaded with all sorts of junk that only takes up space, and system resources like ram and cpu utilization. The only reason why I might keep the os in its original form is for the ease of swapping out those 2.5 drives and not have to deal with the worry of weather or not I'll be able to use the key on the oem sticker (or listed in windows gui) on the computer, with a installation disk I'll probably get off tpb.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect

It will work fine. No worries, you may have to activate by phone. Don't forget though, if you are using a OEM install disk instead of the Factory OEM install disks you will have to download the drivers for your laptop from the manufacturer website. Do not use slic as suggested, this is only used to "hack" win7.

Tags
laptop , microsoft , product key , reinstall , windows 7