Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
MVP

I strongly advocate Thunderbird. It's been essential to my small online business for over five years. It has served me without fail while sending and receiving literally over hundreds of thousands of e-mails to and from 7+ accounts. I love its fast and intuitive search.

It's highly customizable. Lightning is an integrated calendar extension for Thunderbird which works quite well. There is another extension, "Provider for Google Calendar," for bidirectional syncing with Google Calendar.

Best of all, it's available for multiple platforms.
Old January 3, 2012, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Outlook would most likely be my first choice but for the moment anyways I lack an Office Suite with it in it.

Thunderbird.... I dont want something I have to tweak to hell just to be able to use it, I want something plain and simple and that just works.
Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail in Vista worked quite well for me until live mail started through out annoying confusing inconsequential errors.
Old January 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Yeah, but I need the Office suite anyway, so it's not really costing me anything, and work pays for my Mac. (Or I wouldn't be using a Mac)

Would probably be using the Windows Live client, Thunderbird or the Opera mail client if I didn't need MS Office.
I haven't use the actual mail part of the opera mail client, but the RSS feed reader works very nicely, and they just made a major overhaul to the mail client. if you were willing to try it, I would suggest this.
I didn't suggest it initially because so few people actually use opera.
Old January 3, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Outlook would most likely be my first choice but for the moment anyways I lack an Office Suite with it in it.

Thunderbird.... I dont want something I have to tweak to hell just to be able to use it, I want something plain and simple and that just works.
Windows Live Mail and Windows Mail in Vista worked quite well for me until live mail started through out annoying confusing inconsequential errors.
The base client is just that there isnt really a need to install any addons but calendar if you want.
Just the same as FF browser you can use it as the base browser without ever adding addons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 3, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok, I just tried it out. it's definitely not like what most other mail clients are like. it's a little more compact, and the controls/buttons are not what you would expect but they are easily recognizable and the interface is pretty easy to learn. if you use or would be willing to use opera as a browser, it would be well worth it so you don't have another program running.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have tried opera however it really managed to ruin me as it marked 90% of my mail as spam so I spent a month getting very little email before I figured it out. Had to make a few apologies and a bit of begging so I'm not rushing back into that any time soon
Old January 4, 2012, 05:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
I have tried opera however it really managed to ruin me as it marked 90% of my mail as spam so I spent a month getting very little email before I figured it out. Had to make a few apologies and a bit of begging so I'm not rushing back into that any time soon
Regardless of email client, I always turn off spam filtering and let my imap provider deal with that.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i have used several but really like outlook so i ended up getting it in the end. But others i tried that worked well are.

Thunderbird
Evolution for Windows

Old January 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thunderbird + Lightning (calendar)

I agree with SG's comment above, it's just that: Plain, simple and just works.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
PS. I really hate to say this but phones and tablets are quite a bit ahead in the email client department from what I've seen
Oh that pains me to see that. The email clients on iOS, android, and win7 phone all suck. Don't get me wrong they allow you to check mail and reply and move to another folder but fail in any extended options. Now that said I am referring to them dealing with exchange accounts.

I'm an outlook guy. Of course the cost can be an issue, but I get a very good price through work. I just really haven't found anything better. Now that said if I couldn't get office cheap then I would be using Thunderbird.