Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Utilites/Programs for Video processing/encoding

Edit: Just looking for Video conversion software now, please see the most recent post!

Hey all,

Tis high time to get Behemoth up running again on a regular basis (yes, I know it's comparatively "slow" now in comparison with some of you guys' newer servers). Still though, looking for opinions, so here goes:

Currently been running linux for a while, but which OS would you choose for the following? (Free or paid)
- Video editing (1080p .MOV video/H.264 coming from my new Canon T2i)
- Video encoding (Same format as above, but to other formats like DivxHD, MKV, etc) / recoding (upscaling/upsampling of older movies that don't have HD rips, conversion of strange formats to something more useful, etc).

Also, which utilities do you guys suggest for the above as well? Is handbrake still the way to go? Are there any free solutions for video editing worth mentioning?

And for all of the above, multi-threading is a must! Thanks guys.

Last edited by CMetaphor; April 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

handbrake is great for encoding, windows/osx would be best for editing unless sony vegas/adobe suite runs well in wine, not sure if that would support hardware acceleration though.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
handbrake is great for encoding, windows/osx would be best for editing unless sony vegas/adobe suite runs well in wine, not sure if that would support hardware acceleration though.
Interesting points. However windows + 24 cores = windows server. And I've yet to find a good cracked version of 2008R2 - that's why I've been running linux for over a year. Dont even mention anything "Apple" to me.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:21 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ah yes. 50 views, 1 reply. hahaha... -Thread poke-
Old January 3, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i do some hd video editing my self with data captured from my Panasonic G3. Here is what i am running.

Core i3 SB(ya ya, i know. But i'm super cheap)
8GB DDR3
500GB HDD Sata 2

Software

MAGIX Movie Make Professional 17

Seems to work fine for me.

as for 2008r2 you could always just get a technet plus subscription alot cheaper than a full license.

Old January 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are 64bit compilations of Puppy Linux bundled with GIMP that are quite beastly and seem to scale very well with more/faster RAM and threads. (I haven't tried more than 12 though) I've tried LHP, and it was ridiculously fast - minus the countless hours it took to get everything stable and set up.
Old January 3, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
There are 64bit compilations of Puppy Linux bundled with GIMP that are quite beastly and seem to scale very well with more/faster RAM and threads. (I haven't tried more than 12 though) I've tried LHP, and it was ridiculously fast - minus the countless hours it took to get everything stable and set up.
Interesting. Puppy Linux with Gimp.... I'm assuming installed on a disk (as opposed to live usb/cd)?

I thought disk speed would be a severe concern as to not limit the speed of processing (I.E. bottlenecking the CPUs). I was thinking a good Raid 5 or Raid 50 for storage, for speed and reliability. 1080p video from my camera = 4Gb for 12 minutes.

Whats LHP? I certainly like fast...

@lcdguy: I like the technet idea, i had forgotten about that. Ill definitely look into it. How expensive is Magix? Im looking for an inexpensive solution if possible (free works too!)

Thanks for the responses guys
Old January 3, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Interesting points. However windows + 24 cores = windows server. And I've yet to find a good cracked version of 2008R2 - that's why I've been running linux for over a year. Dont even mention anything "Apple" to me.
The Magix product is usually in the 80-120 USD price range. But i believe they have trials you can download before you buy it.

Old January 3, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Interesting. Puppy Linux with Gimp.... I'm assuming installed on a disk (as opposed to live usb/cd)?

I thought disk speed would be a severe concern as to not limit the speed of processing (I.E. bottlenecking the CPUs). I was thinking a good Raid 5 or Raid 50 for storage, for speed and reliability. 1080p video from my camera = 4Gb for 12 minutes.

Whats LHP? I certainly like fast...
Puppy runs entirely in RAM, so it can technically be installed anywhere and the only thing that would be affected is the startup time.

LHP is Lighthouse Pup, it comes in a 64bit version. There's also Fatdog64 and a few other Puppy variations, but those are in alpha and the first two are in a beta stage.

If you have the time and willingness to tinker with the software it's definitely worth a try since it's free.

*disclaimer*
Frustrations may vary.
Old January 4, 2012, 08:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

So my old Linux + Handbrake seems to be A solution for the time being.... but certainly not the best
The biggest problem seems to be that Handbrake doesn't seem to scale above 16 threads. Also, linux in general doesn't like my USB KVM (not a big deal, I know, but I'm used to my scroll scroll-ing lol).

Does anyone know of Any converter (free or not) that will use all them lovely cores? Windows or linux...