Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Top Prospect

It might use a file as its database but the software might also store the whole DB in ram when active.

But my question would be. What is the issue? Is it running slow? Or did you just see a lot of ram usage and wanted to make it go down?

If you just want the ram usage down I don't think its worth the time, effert, possible down time. If its running poorly well thats another story.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichan View Post
It might use a file as its database but the software might also store the whole DB in ram when active.

But my question would be. What is the issue? Is it running slow? Or did you just see a lot of ram usage and wanted to make it go down?

If you just want the ram usage down I don't think its worth the time, effert, possible down time. If its running poorly well thats another story.
Over the course of the week the system goes from using 900mb on reboot to using ALL available ram within the week and never lets go of it and the system starts to run slowly.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Over the course of the week the system goes from using 900mb on reboot to using ALL available ram within the week and never lets go of it and the system starts to run slowly.
Maybe your software is like SQL server.. You can set it to use a certain amount of ram, it will use all of it and only free some of it if other process need some RAM. It uses pretty much all the available when left to default settings and leave a bare minimum for the OS.

It may have a default value to use a certain percentage of the available ram and lock it to itself..

My home 2008R2 server runs Chrome in the background which use tons of RAM, tons of services for testing puposes + and streaming server.. it's not even using a whole GB of ram.