Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2011, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default any suggestions 2d surround gaming performance is crap lol

ok like it says i have a 2 sli'ed gtx 480 and have spent the last day trying to get decent performance outta of them and to be honesty it's just total crap. I mean 22 fps as a high in black ops at 5760 x 1080

info i7 2600@4600mhz and sli'ed gtx 480 any thoughts and i am running the latest drivers
Old December 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Read here: Post #12. Might be your answer.
3 x 480 GTX vs 3 x 580 GTX vs 2 x 590 GTX vs 6 series - Overclockers Forums

Quote:
talked with nvidia tech support and according to them, the number of cores is really what helps define how well surround vision works with a resolution like 5760 x 1080. the 590's have 512 x 2 (1024) cores per card. the 580's have 512 per card, even when compared to the 3 gig classified 580. so ive basically been told numerous different things from different reputable sources and am somewhat back to square one as to wtf to buy.
I think the you may be asking too much from your 480s. Between the core count and the 1538MB of GDDR5. Just a guess though.
Old December 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya that was my first thought so i lowered the res and dropped off all aa and still got really bad frame rates
and if you check out the avg review they do just fine compaired to almost all games so i am at a loss here almost wishing i just bought another 50' screen or something lmao

Last edited by gingerbee; December 16, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old December 16, 2011, 07:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

have you tried any other game/FPS other then black ops? It could just be horrible surround support in that game.
Old December 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i tried cod waw and wolfinstien and it's teh same i have tried lowering the res in all adn i get really crappy results and i was just watch a youtube vid of a kid running s gtx 460 in crysis 2 and getting great fps
Old December 16, 2011, 08:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Gingerbee the problem is you're playing games that are not optimized for surround gaming, and thus getting shitty results. NONE of the COD series have really good support. Another reason you're having problems is the limited amount of vRAM on those cards. The higher the resolution you go, the more vRAM you need. That's why I'm running 2 570s 2.5GB, as a lot of supported 3 monitor games use up a good 1.8GB+ when running on maxed settings. Also, check out the thread in my sig to see what frames you get on properly supported games.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks man
Old December 16, 2011, 08:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You'd be surprised the amount of games that don't properly support it or have rather poor support. Games that seem to have a near 100% support happen to be flight sims and racing games. After that it starts to become hit and miss with RPGs and Shooters. It seems RTS games like to shy away from it at all as they typically feel it gives that person an unfair advantage over mr 1 monitor.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok should i even try setting it up in portrait mode or stop wasting my time and sell off a monitor or 2 adn just grab another big screen i really dont have the time to spend if it's not going to be easy to setup i work for 4 tattoo shops know and i am beat lol