Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

View Poll Results: What AntiSpyware and Malware Program Do You Use?
SuperAntiSpyware 2 2.70%
MalwareBytes 20 27.03%
Microsoft Security Essentials 25 33.78%
Other 27 36.49%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
...superantispyware and avg free
They are the two I use. Never had a problem.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 6, 2012, 02:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Avast free.
Old May 6, 2012, 03:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't use anything myself. Never needed to use one.
Old May 6, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Just a little comment about that, not directed at just you but anyone not using one. Since you are not using one and you say you have never needed to, how do you know you are not infected right now?

There are a lot of malware and viruses that do not have an outward appearance of causing issues on your machine. They phone home information about your machine or use them in DDOS attacks and the such. Lots of these do not want people to know that they are infected and therefore try their hardest to not let you know you have it.

It is just I have seen people without antivirus on their machines come in saying they are completely clean yet after running a scan they show at least a few different viruses. Not saying this is always the case or that having anti-virus stops it all, but it is certainly better than zero protection.

Old May 6, 2012, 06:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For me its been many many years of being a tech in the trenches ive learned to notice when something is amiss with my PC. My last job I had was strictly break fix virus removal for a few major players in the malware sector so I am able to detect issues right off the get go . The only time anything is picked up on my machine are usually no cd cracks for my older games I didnt buy off steam and I dont have an optical drive.
Old May 6, 2012, 07:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
3 kids and a gf in my house, enough said.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I've been using Avira Free for the last few years and I have never had a problem. The only small annoyance is the ad when it updates. Any virus/ malware guru think I should I switch to MSE or something else?
I used one that came with my gigabyte MB till it expired, then switched to AVG but got sick of how much RAM it used and all the things it seems to do in the background was creepy and loud on the HDD, so I ditched that and tried Avira free.

Its light and seems to work alright. Plus in firefox I use adblocker and noscript and block most all cookies.

And I also run CCleaner to ditch cookies and other stuff and clean registry every few days.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

My personal computers are Linux...so not much to say there...

But I use Clamwin for anti-virus on Server 2003/2008 as well as Win7. Malwarebytes on Win7 as well to help with those pesky malware packages. It never finds anything...nothing to find on those machines.