Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Lets get rid of Flash (Article/Website/Discussion)

This site has rather good reasons why we need to make the push from flash to html5. Its at least good for a read as to why anyways

Occupy Flash - The movement to rid the world of the Flash Player plugin
Old November 28, 2011, 07:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As much as I agree that HTML5 is the future, there is still a place for Flash in this world.

The big problem with the Occupy Flash movement is while in detail they explain what they're aiming for, in brief it makes it look like they want Flash gone forever. I know they admit Flash has it's purposes (AIR development, Animation, especially for all you Bronies out there, considering MLP is done in Flash), but at facevalue it looks like they want Flash gone forever, and they have to work harder than just putting a little sidenote saying "We don't actually hate Flash" to convince people to join the movement.

Not to mention nixing flash would essentially kill Newgrounds and similar sites almost instantly. Although I'm not sure if that's actually a downside.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Meh. I too will not shed a tear over Flash when it eventually dies. BUT hmtl 5 still isnt ready for prime time. It needs time to be fine tuned and right now there are still things that flash just plain does better, faster and easier. Also the change over stage for the entire net will not happen over night. To think otherwise and compare it to IE6 like they do at the bottom...is asinine. Its one thing to come out with a new version of a program...its another to drop kick an entire platform into the dustbin.

IMHO it sounds like a bunch of apple fanbois trying to justify why their savior (may he RIP) did what he did.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Their idea is sound though. If people stopped depending on Flash, there would be no need for it and it would die off quicker. It's just the same problem as the actual Occupy (insert town here) movements, they are not actually thinking of the long term issues, and believe that change can happen instantly.

I just wish they would stop trying to push HTML5 as the be all end all of the internet. I mean, yes it's an improvement, but come on.

And honestly Steve Jobs had a genuinely good reason to not support Flash. It wasn't some circlejerk "HTML5 IS GODLIKE" reason. It was "Jesus **** Flash for Mobile sucks so god damn much. Why the **** does my phone crash every 5 ******* minutes browsing the web Jesus H ******* christ on a pogo stick I'm tired of this shit." (super actual quote).

He wasn't trying to parade HTML5 as the future. He just didn't want something that caused his god damn product to fail every 10 ******* minutes.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

One could argue that the Apple iOS wasn't properly designed to support flash, but we won't get into that. It would be nice to have something that doesn't seem to need to be, what, updated almost on a weekly basis mainly to patch a security hole here and there. Anyone remember when they rolled out updates for flash once a month or once every few months, I can't anymore...
Old November 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

whats the big deal about flash? if you don't like it don't install it. I block out allot of flash from my browsers using different type of software.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Counter point:

Occupy HTML - The movement to rid the world of HTML purism
Old November 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Speaking of which, flash just crashed and took out firefox
Old November 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Flash has been getting increasingly more annoying, seems everytime I do a reboot there's another update, which often forces yet another reboot. You try not to install it and every time you go to page that uses it the damn download pop-up comes up, so you eventually have to install the damn thing and then disable it. And have you ever tried to use dial-up on a site with flash ads all over the place, the page will never load.
Old November 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
"It's stable when used properly"

There is no way to "use" Flash properly if you are an end user. You install Flash, you expect it to work. If you open a youtube page, and Flash decides "NOPE I'M GONNA CRASH WOOOOOOOAH", you cannot tell me I was not using it properly if I follow the VERY instructions Adobe gives out.

PS: Everything is stable if used properly.

"Flash powers some amazing experiences that work consistently across all of the major browsers in a way that cannot be replicated without Flash technology."

Are they implying this is not what HTML5 is trying to achieve? A uniform standard to which all major browsers can support and have a similar if not exact same experience? An experience which maybe not replicate everything Flash can do, but at the same time go much farther and do much more than it ever could? And to simplify this experience by reducing the amount of languages and failure points for any given project?

I appreciate trying to come up with a good argument against the death of Flash, but calling it HTML5 purism is just bad. Flash will die. This is a fact. It will be a grand day when it does. Reliance on Flash to build web pages is just about the worst thing in Web Design today, next to the animated gif.

Last edited by Jebusman; November 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM.