Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by occupyflash.org...or apple.org
Flash Player is dead. Its time has passed. It's buggy. It crashes a lot. It requires constant security updates. It doesn't work on most mobile devices. It's a fossil, left over from the era of closed standards and unilateral corporate control of web technology. Websites that rely on Flash present a completely inconsistent (and often unusable) experience for fast-growing percentage of the users who don't use a desktop browser. It introduces some scary security and privacy issues by way of Flash cookies.
Flash makes the web less accessible. At this point, it's holding back the web.
its the cheap hardware and poor java script that don't work on mobile

bottom line apple wants a slice of monopoly or to be the occupy'er of media stream

funny quicktime isn't getting any exposure on mobile
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; November 28, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Fairly certain my smart phone (Galaxy S) is a lot more powerful then quite a few people's computers who browse the internet (think 7-10 year old computers). It's not cheap hardware, it has the horse power, its the poor coding/standards and damnable security holes. That's the only reason flash gets patched, its security flaws/holes.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Reliance on Flash to build web pages is just about the worst thing in Web Design today, next to the animated gif.
Yet, it was almost an industry standard at one point.
Just like Flash will die, HTML5 will die, and whatever is going to replace HTML5 will die, and so on.
Same applies to Facebook type websites.
Isn't it called evolution?
Old November 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Meh. A few bored Apple fanatics who are looking to start their own 'occupy' movement, or have decided the real 'occupy' movement involved too many cold nights outside in the winter.

Frankly, I am sick of all these 'occupy' ripoffs. I should start an 'occupy occupy' movement. The occupy movement in protest of all occupy movements. If there is one already, then I'll just make an 'occupy occupy occupy' movement.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
whats the big deal about flash? if you don't like it don't install it. I block out allot of flash from my browsers using different type of software.
Well the problem is that it crashes on every possible occasion. Especially at the last two months on which it gets worse on a daily basis.
Old November 28, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Well the problem is that it crashes on every possible occasion. Especially at the last two months on which it gets worse on a daily basis.
PC or mobile any links to where it crashes on you ?
Old November 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

PC. Mainly it happens on Youtube and other streaming sites, but lately almost on every site which incorporates Flash while freezing Firefox in the process. Happens at least twice a day on 2 different PCs.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Memory hog for me but does not crash any of my two systems at home, not not an identified sources of crashes on the 320+ machines at work.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 29, 2011, 06:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
its the cheap hardware and poor java script that don't work on mobile
The Opera browser on the Wii supports Flash. It does it quite well considering the Wii is arguably less powerful than most phones out there today (in terms of raw CPU power, not GPU), and being built on a PowerPC architecture no less.

Also, insult Apple more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
Yet, it was almost an industry standard at one point.
Just like Flash will die, HTML5 will die, and whatever is going to replace HTML5 will die, and so on.
Same applies to Facebook type websites.
Isn't it called evolution?
Edit: Know what? I wrote too much there. Here's a simpler thing: Would you rather Flash die off sooner so we can evolve HTML5 to be a true successor, or would you rather Flash become the IE6 of web design? "It works, why would we get rid of it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Meh. A few bored Apple fanatics who are looking to start their own 'occupy' movement, or have decided the real 'occupy' movement involved too many cold nights outside in the winter.

Frankly, I am sick of all these 'occupy' ripoffs. I should start an 'occupy occupy' movement. The occupy movement in protest of all occupy movements. If there is one already, then I'll just make an 'occupy occupy occupy' movement.
First off, stop blaming Apple fanboys. I hate Flash (IN WEB DESIGN) as much as the next guy, and I do not own a single Apple product aside from my 1st gen iPod Touch. Sure, I hate them too, but they're not the scapegoat in this.

Second off, yes the whole "Occupy" ripoffs are getting annoying. But they would never have gotten attention otherwise. And their argument still has merit. It may be a little over the top, but it has the right idea.

Last edited by Jebusman; November 29, 2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Edit: Know what? I wrote too much there. Here's a simpler thing: Would you rather Flash die off sooner so we can evolve HTML5 to be a true successor, or would you rather Flash become the IE6 of web design? "It works, why would we get rid of it".
How does this movement stop that though? The people who would say "it works, why get rid of it" are the ones who wont care about occupy flash. At best this would fastforward things so flash will be the IE6 of web design sooner then later.