Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
There is unfortunately only one (big) problem when it comes to running say Windows 8 on the next generation xbox. The problem is that the previous two generations were Power PC systems/platforms, meaning the way they address memory at the instruction set level is completely different then what intel/amd does it. This has to due back when Motorola and Intel were coming out with their processors and deciding which would be the better way to write something into memory. Intel went one way, Motorola went the other way, making it damn near impossible to run the exact same software on both as they would have to be re-written at the assembler level to do the memory addressing swap in a sense. This is why until Apple switched to Intel, they couldn't run most software that was Windows or Linux capable (little endian vs big endian as its called).

Flash to now, we have the next generation xbox that should be coming out, the question there is are they going to have backwards compatibility support or not? If they do then they'll either need slightly beefy hardware in it so that it can emulate a Power PC processor while running on a presumable intel/amd architecture or not support it (like newer PS3s). The best route would be the ability for Windows 8 to emulate the Power PC processor as it would allow PC gamers to play Xbox and Xbox 360 games in Windows 8 and allow them to have a stream-lined operating system as you previously mentioned for all their devices.

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see, however what I just said is why we may not see it happen, or if we do, we may not have xbox/xbox 360 support for games in the next version of the Xbox gaming console.
I dont think that will be a problem, Microsoft has a history of not offering backwards compatibility already with the move from original to 360.

I just hope metro isnt the main feature behind Windows 8, convergence appeals to me a bit however.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hehehe, seems I might be right about them using ARM in the next-gen XBOX:
Microsoft Xbox "Loop" to Feature ARM Processor, Windows 9 Core - Report - X-bit labs
Old November 9, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Hehehe, seems I might be right about them using ARM in the next-gen XBOX:
Microsoft Xbox "Loop" to Feature ARM Processor, Windows 9 Core - Report - X-bit labs
I dont quite understand why they would do that, ARM is for low power mobile devices that need batteries not high power gaming machines. Could be mistaken with that though.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I dont quite understand why they would do that, ARM is for low power mobile devices that need batteries not high power gaming machines. Could be mistaken with that though.
ARM is becoming faster and faster at a very rapid pace. By having instruction-specific cores, it can do the tasks it's designed for far faster than having a bunch of "general" cores like x86-64 CPUs do.

Just look at NVIDIA's Tegra 3. Quad-core ARM chip that offers fairly stunning graphics considering.
Old November 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

To be perfectly honest I'm fine with the Metro UI. Given the choice between it and a start menu, I think I'd pick the start menu, however on any touch display I would pick Metro in a heartbeat.