Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Accessing Home PC outside network. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/47476-accessing-home-pc-outside-network.html)

Silvgearx October 19, 2011 05:28 PM

Accessing Home PC outside network.

What are some options to access files/share videos outside the homenetwork.

I notice windows 7 has the remote access option.

Allow Remote Desktop connections from outside your home network

Anyone have any experience with remote desktop?

I am running 64bit pro and a 32bit pro win 7.

Perineum October 19, 2011 07:06 PM

logmein will be the easiest

JD October 19, 2011 07:28 PM

TeamViewer also comes to mind, or any VNC server really. You'd just have to forward the port.

RDP over the Internet just isn't reliable. It doesn't really support compression to make it suited to low-bandwidth connections IMO. Though I use RDP via OpenVPN, it works, but isn't the greatest. 1Mbps upload simply isn't enough bandwidth, maybe if you have a better connection than I though, RDP might work a bit better.

Jonesy October 19, 2011 07:38 PM

I use RDP often, and I wouldn't want to be copying videos or large files through it. I am in the same boat as JD @ 1Mbps, no fun. I tried to copy a 1.5gb file for school...I ended up driving home and copying it to a flash drive faster then it would have taken to upload

Prolab October 19, 2011 11:08 PM

I use Logmein for my rig at home and using rogers 3.5G+ its okay. It gets the job down.

Arinoth October 20, 2011 04:35 AM

I have used several different programs and personally I've found Team Viewer to be the best and easiest to set up really. You can access the computer that has this running on it remotely by another computer either via the normal application or through the web browser (incase say your work has standard ports blocked), you can even download the smartphone app (at least Android) and remotely connect and use your computer via that (which web browsing using Team Viewer on a smartphone saves battery life and uses less RAM then a standard smartphone web browser).

Best of all, its free as long as its for home use and not commercial, though be warned if you run windows server at home (which I currently am, free legal key from msdnaa) you'll soon be SOL as it'll eventually flag it as a commercial (since its commercial software) and eventually make you pay for a commercial license. I haven't tried windows home server, probably would fall under home use though.

Silvgearx October 20, 2011 05:13 PM

Oh boy, my home upload speed is .7Mbps, fastest available they say. :angry2:

Team Viewer seems easy and it's free? :shok:

I will just stick with photos then.

Thank you all.

Gonna go read about home server now.

JD October 20, 2011 05:42 PM

If it's just files you want access to, time to get into the cloud!

Look at say Dropbox, SkyDrive, Box, etc. There's numerous companies out there now offering free, or reasonably priced, web-storage that syncs automatically with your desktop.

Arinoth October 20, 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvgearx (Post 559729)
Oh boy, my home upload speed is .7Mbps, fastest available they say. :angry2:

Team Viewer seems easy and it's free? :shok:

I will just stick with photos then.

Thank you all.

Gonna go read about home server now.

I found it easy and its free for home user, which is what you're looking for. They only charge for corporate/commercial use. Nice of them to do that :thumb:

Silvgearx October 21, 2011 07:34 PM

Yes, I know about those online storage, but I also need access to add/remove programs/files depending on the situation. The 32bit pc also works as a seedbox. :ph34r:

Just waiting for the purolator guy. :sad: