Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 03:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default driver cleaner

So whats the best program out there that can clean the drivers for the video card on the system with out reformat.
If I want to install new drivers its best to delete the old ones first, or if I want to change cards.

Reason I am asking I am taking out my GTX 470 and for now putting in my spare card but its a ATI card.
Old October 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well what I have always done was use ccleaner first I would uninstalled the drivers then run the reg cleaners on ccleaner that was all of the unused and messed up registry setting would be cleaned out becasue basically most of the software out there that people pay for this does it for free, just make sure that if you don't want the toolbar ( while installing ccleaner ) to uncheck that other wise when you install it it will add things that you might not want on your web browser.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

I would be careful using some of those "freebie" driver cleaning programs as they can cause more harm than good... Lots of people recommend them but I don't think that they are really necessary. I've always just uninstalled the old drivers using the add/remove programs in Windows, reboot and then install the new drivers. You should be fine just doing this... I've never used any driver removal software and have never had a problem.
Old October 9, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

When installing a different card or drivers, first uninstall drivers from Device Manager in Windows. Reboot and install new card or drivers.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ok I thought maybe I need to use a program to get rid of drivers. I will do that using windows device manager and see how that goes. Thanks
Old October 9, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
When installing a different card or drivers, first uninstall drivers from Device Manager in Windows. Reboot and install new card or drivers.
Doing it that way still leaves residues every where like all of the folders . CCleaner is good just uninstall then run the ccleaner logout ( or reboot ) then back into your PC install the new driver. the thing is that every single time you install something onto your OS it leaves a reg which can ( after a while) make this a li9ttle messy and cause small irritating problems . anyway ccleaner also asks of you want to backup the reg before you do clean it out so there is know worries there.
Old October 9, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I would be careful using some of those "freebie" driver cleaning programs as they can cause more harm than good... Lots of people recommend them but I don't think that they are really necessary. I've always just uninstalled the old drivers using the add/remove programs in Windows, reboot and then install the new drivers. You should be fine just doing this... I've never used any driver removal software and have never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Given the fact that the OP is switching to an ATI card, I strongly disagree with the above two statements. I'm 100% sure any experienced video card reviewer will agree.

To the OP - most people would suggest something like DriverSweeper. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

I personally just use Ccleaner uninstall+registry cleaner, but for switching to/from ATI I usually reformat to avoid issues.
Old October 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Reformatting seems excessively ridiculous. If drivers and OS's were so incompatible as to always cause problems, reformatting would be an entire sub-industry of the PC market.
I've done a lot of video card switching with the simple steps mentioned above and have no stability or performance issues. Problems show up, fine use a driver cleaner. Still screwed? Consider reformatting. Given the time it would take someone like me to do (tons of re-installs to do), its a last resort.
If your switching sides (AMD/Nvid), just make sure uninstall all software (Control centres, physx, etc) in there, and run a registry cleaner.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
To the OP - most people would suggest something like DriverSweeper. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Driver Sweeper seems to work reasonably well, probably best to run it in Safe Mode just to be doubly sure. And of course, get it from the developer's website instead as it's a much more up-to-date version: Phyxion.net - Driver Sweeper
Old October 9, 2011, 10:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well I did the step mentioned above and clean out the Nvidia drivers and then shut down removed my GTX 470, installed my spare ATI 48601GB card.( this is on temp until I get a new video card)
And started system back up, Installed the new up to date drivers for the ATI card ran a bench to see if it would screw up.
So far no issues, Yes i also went into registry cleaner and deleted drivers there.

So for now no issues. but we will see in the next while.