Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2011, 09:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Question(s) about Ubuntu Server

Hello HWC's,

I am new to ubuntu server and I like it, I am not use to it yet. I have always used Ubuntu Desktop.

My question is that once you install ubuntu-desktop on the server version are you able to switch back to the terminal only interface or are you stuck with the desktop now?

I enjoy learning to use the terminal interface, but until I understand all the commands I would like to be able to go into the desktop and do what I need to do. Is this possible?

Thanks!
MTP

Look at me, I'm wearing one shape up
Old September 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

I've never used Ubuntu Server but I know Ubuntu has a terminal where you can do everything using the CLI.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yea, I am assuming its the the same with ubuntu server. I just want someone to confirm before i install desktop on my server....

Old September 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't tried it on Ubuntu yet, but you should be able to set up the OS to start at runlevel 3 (rather than runlevel 5) so it will start with no GUI.
You can also keep the GUI (any combination of Gnome, KDE, LXDE, etc) installed and you can switch to GUI mode by using
Quote:
sudo init 5
You can also uninstall the GUI later, and if your computer is set to runlevel 3 you'll have no problems.

If you don't want to go through all that, you can also just leave your GUI at the log-in screen (or any screen you want for that matter) and press CTRL+ALT+F[1-7] to switch to various terminals to log on for terminal only.
Old September 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you like CLI you can always SSH in to the server.
Old September 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
I haven't tried it on Ubuntu yet, but you should be able to set up the OS to start at runlevel 3 (rather than runlevel 5) so it will start with no GUI.
You can also keep the GUI (any combination of Gnome, KDE, LXDE, etc) installed and you can switch to GUI mode by using

You can also uninstall the GUI later, and if your computer is set to runlevel 3 you'll have no problems.

If you don't want to go through all that, you can also just leave your GUI at the log-in screen (or any screen you want for that matter) and press CTRL+ALT+F[1-7] to switch to various terminals to log on for terminal only.
This is no trouble at all. I will give that a try. Where do I set the runlevel yet. Current I just have server setup. If I have the runlevel set to 3 it will perform just as it is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
if you like CLI you can always SSH in to the server.
I enjoy the command line. I have openSSH setup and I can connect from my pc and mac

Old September 25, 2011, 05:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

so i installed ubuntu-desktop and now i cannot get the console back it always boots into the desktop. Time to reformat i guess

Old September 26, 2011, 07:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

~tl;dr all

have you tried ctrl + alt + F1?
Old September 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertuxedopants View Post
If I have the runlevel set to 3 it will perform just as it is now?
Yes unless the desktop sets up additional services (even then you shouldn't notice - just a couple kBs extra RAM usage or something).

Have you tried looking at /etc/inittab?
Link: Debian and Ubuntu Linux Run Levels

I found something useful in my OpenSUSE /etc/inittab file:
Code:
# The default runlevel is defined here
id:3:initdefault:
(Keep a Live CD handy to restore if you mess something up...) If your file has a 5, swap it for a 3 and reboot.
Old September 27, 2011, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
have you tried ctrl + alt + F1?
Just a note I now do CTRL+ALT+F2 (or button mash all the Fn keys) because some odd distros (Fedora?) have started to put the GUI on the F1 rather than F7 like before...