Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2011, 08:31 AM
Rookie

Red face windows home server "vail" expired - now what?

Hi all

I let my trail version of windows home server "vail" expire and now the server I built won't boot.

There were 6 separate hard drives - two had data on them and 1 had the Operating system on it. The other three were blank.

What is the best way to proceed here?

I am concerned that if I installed a new operating system, would my data be lost.

Could I get around this by simply removing/disconnecting the hard drives which house the data and installing a new operating system. If so my problem is that I am not sure which of the six drives contain the data and the OS - is there a way one could find this out. I am able to get into the bios.

Thanks!

Chris
Old September 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

this would depend on a number of factors.

1. Were the data drives in a Raid Configuration
2. If they were was it a hardware raid or a software raid
3. If it's software you might be boned. If it's hardware there might be a way.
4. You could try loading up a linux live cd to see if you can get to the data.

now does the computer stay running just it won't let you login or does it shutdown. if it stays running you might be able to get at the shares using another computer. Otherwise again you might have trouble recovering the data.

If there was no raid array then you might be able to just connect the drive to another windows7/server 2008 box. (i believe vail is based on 2008).

Old September 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you connect all the disks to a Windows machine, you should be able to import the foreign configuration and access all your data. I would then say to move it all onto a different drive and then format all those drives from your WHS.

I'm assuming all 6 disks weren't part of the array and you know which are which though. Otherwise, hopefully your motherboard has 7+ SATA ports.
Old September 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

^ that solves problem #1

The FreeBSD Project

^ this solves problem #2

BOOYA O_O