Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It took several tries ( nine attemps) but I finally have gotten win8 up and running but it is the 32bit version and it find a driver for my net card :( I really don't like not having it go to the desktop when ever I open up something and then close it I have to always look for the desktop icon and click on it but I cannot access the internet .
Old September 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Hi JD,

Here is a work around to put the Windows 7 Start Menu back into Windows 8.

I am using it, but there is not a guarantee from me or anybody else, if it breaks something else.
I have tried all of the functionality I can and could not cause it to break.
As I said, if it does, don't blame me. User beware.

Go to regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
Explorer

On right side, right click on RPEnabled and change it from 1 to 0, then save.

You now have the Start Menu from Windows 7, enabling you to close down, etc with ease.

If you don't like it for whatever reason, do the same as above, except make the value 0 to 1 again and save.

Take care, and have fun?.............

* F@H Unit Points *

Last edited by lechumbl; September 16, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old September 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually am sort of used to the smartphone type of start menu on this OS but for the life of me I still cannot get the network adapter to work , I had to use a program called folder to ISO just so that I could get my sabertooth 990fx driver onto win8 but of course I cannot install the driver because windows 8 doesn't recognize the driver or the driver does't recognize window 8 lol
I heard that windows 8 will install onto Virtual machine ware but the version has to be VM8
Old September 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Okay then....

Why would you want a desktop OS on your tablet/phone, and why would you want a tablet/phone OS on your desktop?

Get rid of all these "basic, home premium, ultimate, etc" version of Windows and just have Win8 and Win8 mobile.

Some of the features of Win 8 look to be better but I'll skip them if I'm forced to use that jumbled mess.
It's called convergence and it seems everything is going that route. I believe Apple wants to do the same thing, but instead they want to bring iOS to the desktop to replace OSX. Then they can remove their reliance on Intel and use ARM instead. Opposite to what MS is doing I'd say, but similar none the less.

I think MS is on the right track though, they really are uniting all their brands and bringing the same styling throughout. Be it Metro or Ribbon, it's being used across multiple products now.

That's not to say everyone is going to like it, and honestly I agree that the "Start tiles" really doesn't work for desktop computing. I can only hope they'll take some feedback and make it optional for desktops.
Old September 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well this can't be promising in my install attempt:

I wonder if they'll keep the happy critical failure smiley for RTM...
Old September 16, 2011, 12:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And they kept the color blue... so it's still a BSOD?
Old September 16, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bah, from the sounds of it I'm not going to like this. But I'm setting up a VM for it anyways.

Is there really no way to get rid of the metro and just stick with classic windows? Metro might work well for the finger but it fails miserably for a keyboard/mouse setup.

But Windows 8 has scared me ever since they said they were optimizing for touch with metro, if they dont have a way to disable it Windows 7 really will be the new XP, and while I did upgrade to Vista and liked it well enough I dont think I could ever learn to like that touch friendly OS.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To disable metro, and have it work like Windows 7 (desktop machine)

Change: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
change key, RPEnabled = 0 (that is zero)..

http://www.ikbenstil...m-je-er-van-af/

this is a fairely good move for MS becasue then they could do the same thing as they did with win 7 with the different serial numbers gives you different versions of the OS, but this is setup for more of the tablet idea which is kind of Star trek cool but as it is I don't even use my old laptop, I don't need to with 4 other PCs in my room hehe, but I sure wish I could get the internet drivers to work so I could have access to the Net.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Hi Shadowmeth,

Noticied I posted that several posts ago in this thread?

Guess it won't hurt to see it again tho.

Take care........

* F@H Unit Points *
Old September 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechumbl View Post
Hi Shadowmeth,

Noticied I posted that several posts ago in this thread?

Guess it won't hurt to see it again tho.

Take care........
And I posted it on page 3, lol just having fun with you Lee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton