Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Oh one thing that article reminded me about that is a feature I do really like that windows 8 has. That feature is the ability to mount iso and vhd files directly in explorer.

All in all if I can have a normal start menu then I think it will be a decent OS for the standard PC and a good one for tablets. I am just looking forward to a proper windows OS on tablets and then hopefully some good hardware to go alone with it. Then I can get people proper machines that they can actually use for work and integrate it with their desktop machines.
Meh.

There is so many free programs out there to do this its not worth it.

Its just like Microsoft wanting to put a built-in PDF reader.

Or have you noticed that Windows 7 no longer comes with Windows Live Mail anymore? It used to.. but they got in trouble and then they said no more.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Got a Windows 8 BSOD. It looks prettier than the classic BSOD. A lighter shade of blue. Am I the first HWCer to get one on Win 8????

The problem? The Vertex 2 SSD installed on it dropped. Verfied in BIOS that the SSD was not recognized. Second time that particular SSD dropped in a few months, so an RMA for me.

Thats two out of the 3 OCZ Vertexes I have that had to be RMA'd (one Vertex 1, and now this Vertex 2).

As for my impressions on Win 8, I dual booted with Win 7, and when I got the choice to pick between Win 7 and 8 on boot, I selected Win 7 and the machine went straight to post. I thought that I would have to repair the boot partition, but it booted straight into Win 7 with no choice to boot into Win 8. So it seems that when selecting a boot OS, Win 8 boot loader will do a restart (or thats how it worked just now).

Found the new interface a bit frustrating, but thats to be expected. I can't pass final judgement until I have given it an honest try.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 14, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When they come out with this as a finished product I am hoping ( but Doubting) that they have some type of options before installation that allows you to pick what is or isn't installed it because I really don't like spending time installing an OS and then as soon as it is installed having to spend a bunch of time uninstalling software and hoping that what was uninstalled doesn't interfere with any other part of the OS and then finally grabbing the things I do want to install and installing them lol
Dam VB is telling me that my Processor doesn't support a 64bit OS lol ok man I hate VB

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Ok, installed it on my laptop. It's laggy and etc but well, it's a pre RC so I don't mind. But can any one explain me HOW to close those stupid apps. I mean, there is no X or something to close them? for the rest, for now it's pretty like a slow win 7 with a new UI.
You'd not suppose to close them, just like on current-day phones/tablets, the apps are merely suspended in the background.

If you need to get back to the tile screen while in an app, just hit the Windows Key.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the life of me I couldn't get back to desktop either.

I ended up using the CTRL-ALT-DEL method.

The native multimonitor support looks interesting.

However, loading up the start menu, then selecting "settings" in order to shut down is #$%'*'n annoying. Took me 15 minutes just to find out how to shut it down. WHY do they insist on changing the GUI each revision? Shouldn't there be a level of continuity? It seems like each revision is a race to see how badly they can make the learning curve.

Hint: changing where everything is does not make Windows more "user friendly" and just makes all my clients bitch they can't find anything.
Old September 15, 2011, 08:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Found it online, but did you mean this chris?

Old September 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

I really hope there is gonna be another choiced for BSOD or at least make a log.

For those getting BSODs in Windows 8 can you do me a favor and run this:
Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

And see what it shows.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
However, loading up the start menu, then selecting "settings" in order to shut down is #$%'*'n annoying. Took me 15 minutes just to find out how to shut it down. WHY do they insist on changing the GUI each revision? Shouldn't there be a level of continuity? It seems like each revision is a race to see how badly they can make the learning curve.
I believe this is mainly due to it being geared towards "always on" devices. From what I've read of the development blogs, they don't really want you to "shutdown" the computer. Rather it should just enter sleep or hibernate mode for fast resume as they've heavily optimized those functions.

Basically compare Windows 8 to current day iOS, Android and WP7 in terms of functionality. You don't shutdown your phone everyday, so why do that with your other devices?
Old September 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I believe this is mainly due to it being geared towards "always on" devices. From what I've read of the development blogs, they don't really want you to "shutdown" the computer. Rather it should just enter sleep or hibernate mode for fast resume as they've heavily optimized those functions.

Basically compare Windows 8 to current day iOS, Android and WP7 in terms of functionality. You don't shutdown your phone everyday, so why do that with your other devices?
Okay then....

Why would you want a desktop OS on your tablet/phone, and why would you want a tablet/phone OS on your desktop?

Get rid of all these "basic, home premium, ultimate, etc" version of Windows and just have Win8 and Win8 mobile.

Some of the features of Win 8 look to be better but I'll skip them if I'm forced to use that jumbled mess.
Old September 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post

Nope. It included a stop code, and actually told me in plain english "A required device has been disconnected". I think the code was 0x000 or something.
Fold for team #54196